Fuck Today (Part 1)

Sucks indeed, and also a first world problem with um, lesser world? poorer world? consequences. Appliances in general seem to be built more and more for quick deaths, often resulting in environmentally damaging disposal in poor communities, and sometimes countries. It’s one more thing that pisses me off when another piece of relatively new junk dies on me.

14 Likes

The exponential increase of wild pigs in the US is bad news, though I was tempted to post it in “Encouraging News” because of the lethal viral threat that wild pigs pose to the horrendous pork industry.

Wild Pigs Could Trigger Decimation of US Pork Industry

https://www.agweb.com/news/livestock/pork/wild-pigs-could-trigger-decimation-us-pork-industry

3 Likes

Exponential? That means one day you could have two pigs, then very quickly you would have 30-50 wild hogs smashing into your yard while your kids play!

11 Likes

(Wonders if I should bring up the whole ‘decimation = cutting by 1/10th’ or not.)

16 Likes

Probably not, since such pedantry about original, and thus supposedly still accurate, meanings of terms isn’t especially welcome in this here juke joint.

8 Likes

15 Likes
10 Likes

A group of Seattle moms had their breast milk tested, and all of them had ‘concerning’ levels of toxic ‘forever chemicals’

16 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Seriously? What the hell kind of logic is that?

9 Likes

As you are a logical person you won’t be allowed to participate in this discussion.

8 Likes

So those fires many hundreds of mile west of me are making sunny skies even here milky. Grrrrr…

Selfish of me to suddenly care about air quality, I know, but I do wonder how much of it comes down to ground level. Guess it’s good that I’ve given up running. :sweat:

11 Likes

Intended obsolescence; most companies no longer build products to last - they build them to break so that consumers will ‘just go out and buy more.’

16 Likes

BBC just had a nice story on this. It’s also true that they build them in a way that makes it harder and more expensive to make even minor repairs. So instead of metal parts screwed together, they use plastic parts glued. Or they spot-weld so that large sections have to be removed to do even the most minor of repairs.

12 Likes

And almost impossible to repair. Microchips go out, throw it out and buy new. Too expensive to make even minor repairs.

9 Likes

Owe you a coke!

7 Likes

And never mind that it’s all horrible for the environment; profit margins matter over everything else.

12 Likes

We bought a new stove last year. It had 2 major defects that they had to come out and repair. I was surprised that they did not just replace it. The repair guy had to replace a huge amount of wiring because it was all one “part”.

9 Likes

Fuck this shit.

16 Likes

My heart is breaking right now :broken_heart:. That’s so awful and so wrong.

10 Likes

Sure, I’ve been hearing about “built-in obsolescence” and such since I was a kid. Even Willie Loman basically complains about in his refrigerator. I didn’t use such a term because it seems like it’s gotten worse lately. (My anecdotes aren’t data, etc.) Maybe I’ll look into whether it really has accelerated lately.

4 Likes