Fucking NY Times

From this morning’s briefing bleating about the violent “crime waves” overtaking the US:

What explains the crime wave? There is no fully satisfying answer, but experts point to several plausible partial explanations. They include: Social isolation and frustration caused by the pandemic. A sense of lawlessness stemming from police violence (like the murder of George Floyd). Police officers’ timidity in response to recent criticism of them. And a rise in gun sales during the pandemic.

I want to repeat this part in particular:

Police officers’ timidity in response to recent criticism of them.

Ummmm, that word, I don’t think it means what you think it means.

7 Likes

Maybe they meant ‘temerity’?

7 Likes

I’m sure that’s it.
Dang auto-correct!
/s

5 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

even “partisan talking points” completely both sides the unfounded line of attacks the republicans set themselves on. worse, those don’t even qualify really as talking points in any traditional sense of the word

7 Likes

I ran it through Google translate and all I got was “dickishness” :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Nothing to see, move along.

14 Likes

… is said to…

11 Likes

Nice choice of image too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 Likes

“The men didn’t see themselves fitting into American society today. They didn’t feel free to be themselves in the culture,” the piece claims. “Seven of them said they felt like a stranger in their own country. At a time when democratic institutions are under pressure — and even under attack — and the United States feels so ununited, what causes these Americans to feel so alienated from America?”

The Times, to my knowledge, has never done a focus group of, say, eight LGBTQ men over 50. Or eight LGBTQ people of any age. What about doing a focus group of eight Northeast Democrats? How about visiting a diner and listening to supporters of President Joe Biden? Or Senator Elizabeth Warren? Or Reps. Jamie Raskin or Val Demmings?

When does the paper of record start highlighting views of people from the left, rather than a Nazi from 1922 or conservatives from 2022?

15 Likes

So let’s get this straight: the panel whined about not being allowed to be openly masculine (their definition is being stoic and strong), and then whined about people whining about sexism and racism.

While their lack of irony may be somewhat amusing, I could have done without this entire piece.

14 Likes

They were stopped from expressing themselves by being prevented from not expressing themselves?

11 Likes

It makes me want to start this in May:

6 Likes

I saw a headline on Vox about NYT being concerned over their aging readership and wanting to attract a younger and more diverse audience.
This is not how to do that. What a waste of time.

10 Likes

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

7 Likes

I know I’m relatively young, but have op-ed departments in newspapers ever done good for journalism? I can only see the rise in punditry being primary for journalism since it sells, and that’s also reflected in radio and TV. People complain about the sourcing and rigor of blogs, but I’ve never found these opinion columns to ever be any better.

4 Likes

Doubtful. Op-ed’s are usually just some asshole with an axe to grind.

6 Likes

Yep. Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one. Only newspapers print the colonoscopies.

5 Likes

Once again, New York Times reporters betray the public interest for the sake of a book deal

9 Likes