Fucking NY Times

That depends on how many of his supporters end up there.

6 Likes

True. Could be one of his biggest rallies!

4 Likes

By definition, if you’re in Leavenworth you’re not allowed to vote, right?

3 Likes

Here’s how Donald Trump could theoretically run for president and govern the US from prison, according to 9 legal scholars

This is actually quite interesting.

4 Likes

quick! give ■■■■■ everything he wants before trying to hold him accountable gives him everything he wants

oh i know! let’s ignore him and let him crime in peace…

what a terrible headline :confused:

3 Likes

David Brooks slightly later, after reading the affidavit.

10 Likes

“joe biden: heartless bastard, or menace to society?” asked the nyt headline, probably. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

The constitution is inconvenient. Let’s get rid of it. What could possibly go wrong?

6 Likes

They’re certainly correct that the structure of the Constitution is need of revising.

They’re dupes if they think that now is the time to open up the Constitution wholesale given we’re in danger of going fascist and that this is what they’re hoping to do.

7 Likes

Who wrote this article?
giphy

9 Likes

It’s actually pretty reasonable. It gives pretty clear and direct action to protect democracy and make it more robust against extremism within the bounds of the constitution that would also forever change it.

• Pack the union with more smaller states around urban areas
  • Amend the constitution to have a more parliamentary model of federal government
  • Clearly define the role of judicial review

I was expecting something much worse tbh.

3 Likes

I agree with the article.

" There must be in-groups whom the constitution protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the constitution binds but does not protect."

Tbf, in 1970 it did so by hand, with a calculator and a green visor. I’m not surprised that in the era of digital tax returns the same staff can do a lot more work.

2 Likes

The IRS got computerized in the 1960s

It still uses those systems today.

2 Likes

Yeah, but this still took a lot more time. Data entry alone is different between transferring typewritten tax returns onto punch cards or tape and getting it fully digital through the internet. Just imagine that the entire typing pool and almost all of the filing clerks of the 1970s IRS are obsolete these days.

4 Likes
9 Likes

ETA:

11 Likes

To be sure, the NYT’s fuckery comes in at least two flavors: credulous and unexamined platforming of right-wing talking points, and (as in this case) reductionist headlines that blunt anything resembling nuance into the copywriting equivalent of a piece of rebar.

Though sometimes it’s both.

6 Likes
7 Likes