Fucking NY Times

15 Likes

I was curious and checked. The detailed analysis is that he is is very clearly anti-left, own the libs and so on, but he only talks up the Republicans a little. And he used to claim to be independent and for some reason supports electric cars. So, you know, not simple. :unamused:

8 Likes

… a “futurist” then

How Italian Futurism Influenced the Rise of Fascism - artmejo

8 Likes

They’re admitting that they’re dupes?

5 Likes

The new Albert Speer?

5 Likes

eta: Quote doesn’t apparently doesn’t appear in the claimed source, although I’m not going to dig into Enciclopedia Italiana or Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions to verify that. It seems to have popped into existence out of nowhere.

2 Likes

… that’s a notoriously false quote

… i mean, not to stick up for mussolini, but you’ve always seemed like a details guy

5 Likes

Money buys the privilege of being thought of as “interesting”.

3 Likes

D’oh! Interesting that they don’t seem to have pinned down the source.

Yikes, that Snopes article really stretches itself as a CYA for capitalism. Protests just a little too much, you know?

In other words, corporatism in Mussolini’s fascism was not a free-market capitalist system. Far from it. It did not allow for the kind of competition, innovation, market entry, and research and development characteristic of modern capitalism, and it was closely ruled in every way by the state with Mussolini at its head.

Wow.

4 Likes

quoteinvestigator.com is usually pretty good

2 Likes

When in doubt, you can always just move the verbs to the end and attribute it to Yoda. Nobody has read all the old extended universe stuff.

“If handle me at my worst you cannot, deserve me at my best you do not, hm? Hm.” –Yoda, probably

10 Likes

“Life what, when you busy other
plans making are, happens is”

4 Likes

Think of it as the fascist antithesis of class struggle-- in fascism, the workers and the managers cooperate within a guild like structure.

I think what happened is best considered as a kind of shift in class allegiances on the part of the managerial staff of major corporations, from an uneasy, de facto alliance with their own workers, to one with investors. As John Kenneth Galbraith long ago pointed out, if you create an organization geared to produce perfumes, dairy products, or aircraft fuselages, those who make it up will, if left to their own devices, tend to concentrate their efforts on producing more and better perfumes, dairy products, or aircraft fuselages, rather than thinking primarily of what will make the most money for the shareholders. What’s more, since for most of the twentieth century, a job in a large bureaucratic mega-firm meant a lifetime promise of employment, everyone involved in the process—managers and workers alike—tended to see themselves as sharing a certain common interest in this regard, over and against meddling owners and investors. This kind of solidarity across class lines even had a name: it was called “corporatism.” One mustn’t romanticize it. It was among other things the philosophical basis of fascism. Indeed, one could well argue that fascism simply took the idea that workers and managers had common interests, that organizations like corporations or communities formed organic wholes, and that financiers were an alien, parasitical force, and drove them to their ultimate, murderous extreme. Even in its more benign social democratic versions, in Europe or America, the attendant politics often came tinged with chauvinism18—but they also ensured that the investor class was always seen as to some extent outsiders, against whom white-collar and blue-collar workers could be considered, at least to some degree, to be united in a common front.

– from David Graeber’s the Utopia of Rules

5 Likes

it’s better. still “protestors” is inaccurate, and “rising fears” uses the exonerative tense.

“drag shows targeted by armed extremists” would be most accurate.

6 Likes

Hans Kammler.

2 Likes
12 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

But I heard Leonard Nimoy say it in Civilization!

3 Likes