Fucking NY Times

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

15 Likes

Huh. I’m with Scalzi on this one: I much prefer email. Me and the Mr. both work from home now, and I’m mainly email or some kind of conference call/screen share thing for meetings. It works well, and it’s easy to set and maintain boundaries so I can actually dig into bigger projects that need chunks of focused attention. Poor Mr. Linkey has some kind of chat thing on his work network that everyone uses and it’s constantly popping up, interrupting workflow. It seems like people take less time to organize their thoughts with those things. And, records of those chats are harder to collate or reference.

12 Likes
12 Likes

It’s nice that John Whitehouse agrees with the headline-- otherwise he would not have finalized it in the form of a jpeg.

(It’s a milquetoast article anyway.)(

Which gets to the politics of this scheme. If Pence were to disregard the rules and the history and seize control of the counting process, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would presumably have suspended the joint session, which relies on the consent of both chambers of Congress. “With a stalled and incomplete count because of a standoff between Pence and Pelosi,” the legal scholar Ned Foley writes in a separate Election Law Blog post, “the Twentieth Amendment becomes the relevant constitutional provision.” Meaning, in short, that at noon on Jan. 20, Pelosi would become acting president of the United States. Pence would lose authority as vice president (and president of the Senate) and the joint session would resume, with Congress putting its stamp of approval on Biden’s victory.

And let’s not forget that a series of moves of the sort envisioned by Eastman would spark national outrage. The “howls” would not just come from congressional Democrats; they would come from the 81 million voters who Pence would have summarily disenfranchised. It is conceivable that Trump and his allies would have prevailed over mass protests and civil disobedience. But that would depend on the support of the military, which, if the actions of Gen. Mark Milley were any indication, would not have been forthcoming.

In the days before the mob descended on the Capitol, a corollary attack — this one bloodless and legalistic — was playing out down the street in the White House, where Mr. Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and a lawyer named John Eastman huddled in the Oval Office, scheming to subvert the will of the American people by using legal sleight-of-hand.

1 Like
10 Likes
20 Likes

Article is just another in a long line of “rather than give employees more money, let’s just give them the promise of more money by giving them stock options” thinkless pieces, but the headline change is like a bit of environmental storytelling in a Bethesda Fallout game.

14 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

Also why is it always the Democrats who are framed as having to placate the other side when they win by a narrow margin? Nobody’s going to talk about how the new nut job governor in VA is going to have to be careful about swinging too far to the right because he won by less than the Democrat in NJ did.

16 Likes

Phil Murphy can’t run again. What possible incentive does he have to change after being the first Dem guv to be re-elected in something like 60 years. In an off year election no less.

10 Likes

Let’s re-write it for Youngkin, then:

Will Glen Youngkin Move to the Center After His Narrow Win in Virginia?
The Republican governor won election in a close race, raising questions about his ability to enact fascist measures, like financial corruption and trampling on the rights of minorities and women.

17 Likes

trumkin youngkin is the gQp long run for ‘24. What he does in between is inconsequential. In a contested presidential race he will be called to action.

5 Likes

More Dowdy.

11 Likes
16 Likes

I loved Stephen Colbert’s comments about media coverage of the election, too. Hope to see more people calling them out for manipulative reporting:

9 Likes

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 12.00.11 PM

A long article (not gonna link it) about how Biden’s unpopularity, “defund the police”, and other scary lefty stuff caused the “intense backlash” dems saw including losing their hold on Nassau County. It focuses on Laura Curran losing the county executive race, but nowhere does it mention that republicans have won that position most years and Curran barely won her only term 4 years ago after the incumbent republican didn’t re-run because he was facing criminal indictment. Instead its just a long winded rant about how dems need to turn even further right

10 Likes

I’ve seen where those rants lead to. Hopefully the NYT doesn’t go full Grauniad, calling for the rollback of transgender rights.

8 Likes