Garbage In, Garbage Out: machine learning has not repealed the iron law of computer science

There was a nice thing in one of the Alien spin off comics (though it probably appeared decades before in a book by Asimov or someone) where there was a science lab staffed by androids with a few humans to oversee proceedings. The androids were faster, tougher, more rigorous and just plain better than the humans. The humans were there to make value judgements. :smiley:

1 Like

I am bad with names but I think it was Joy Bualamwini. I am pretty sure about the MIT and that she was a grad student. IIRC the programme was "Business Daily in the last 5 or 6 days.

I am one of those people who can meet you after 20 years and remember that you played rugby for your school and not have any idea of what your name is.

1 Like

I bet I’m not the only person here who was in their school’s production of The GIGO Effect.

2 Likes

I was not in it, but I sure watched it! I also entirely forgot about it until this moment and I feel like I’m on a bad trip.

1 Like

Cory’s headline jiggered a neuron that reminded me of it, and once I realized it wasn’t a weird dream and I actually played a computer in it at age 10, I felt I should remind others of our collective bad trip.

2 Likes

I like the way that the kid carrying the US flag is immediately followed by a guy carrying his own prison cell. :smiley:

1 Like

The City Club of Cleveland recently had a speaker talking about some of the more subtle flaws of these systems. It is worth a listen. https://www.cityclub.org/forums/2018/05/24/creating-a-digital-poorhouse-technology-human-rights-and-economic-inequality

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.