Gendered objectification

This topic makes me uncomfortable, but not for the reasons most would think. I’m going to get somewhat personal here, so be forewarned.

@Jilly’s initial comment talks about how beauty brings about intense reactions. The topic is full of posts that, without question, have brought about reactions that differ quite substantially from a normal thread. I don’t doubt that it’s a combination of subject matter and eye candy, and brilliantly illustrates the issue in question.

I live on the opposite side of the spectrum. I am morbidly obese, and where many have had to endure the inevitable “once over” from those speaking to them, who would look at them as eyecandy, I instead get to watch them look me over, with their eyes usually travelling to my stomach, realizing they’re mentally classifying me as “fat” or “unattractive” or whatever the opposite of eyecandy is.

I see the beautiful examples of the human body in this topic and am uncomfortable because I both see something unattainable (as is true of the majority, which again was the OP’s point), but also the question: “Am I, being the opposite of these people, reviled further if I show any outward sign of my attraction to them? If I’m already triggering what I can only assume are subconcious thoughts of revulsion, how should I be behaving?”

I’m not female, so I certainly can’t relate to that sort of objectification, but I do think I have a better understandingt hen most males of what it feels like to be judged before you’ve even opened your mouth.

18 Likes