God damn you 2020

What about Leicester City winning the English Premier League? Pre-season they were 5000-1 to win it and favourites to be relegated to the Championship. Everything seemed relatively normal before 2016-05-02. No Brexit, no President Trump, maybe a lot more celebrity deaths than we would have liked but we can’t have everything perfect.

11 Likes

19 Likes

Holy shit.
Between these ongoing wrecks and the recent footage of mob chanting, I hope I never, ever have to fly again.
I’ve started looking at container ship passage as a possible way to get back to Germany (when it’s safe) to visit my family there…it takes a lot longer, but with WiFi, working from a ship shouldn’t be too much different than working from home, maybe?

10 Likes

my mother-in-law emigrated to the states from england in 1950 in one of 12 passenger berths on a cargo ship. that’s part of a long tradition that still goes on. interestingly, at least to me, is that 70 years later, 12 passengers is still the upper limit.

i’ve read that the accommodations are generally quite good, maybe not quite like those at the pinnacle of first class lodgings on cruise ships but still at a pretty high level of comfort.

10 Likes

You might want to confirm what kind of connection to expect from people who have traveled that way before. The last time I traveled to/around Europe by boat, I regretted not investing in a satellite Internet setup.

12 Likes

Photos I’ve seen are like a spartan studio apartment. I think passengers are also discouraged from roaming or interacting with crew members. Also, no pets.

8 Likes

That’s the opposite of ships in the Cunard line, which have kennels and places to walk dogs.

7 Likes

How it started:

How it’s going to be going:

14 Likes

Of all the potential apocalypses, apes taking shit back from us is my preferred selection.

6 Likes

FTFY :wink:

14 Likes

You are of course, unbiased. Merely representing the interests of your subjects!

12 Likes

My codstituents. :wink:

20 Likes

It’s the whole rollcall!

11 Likes

My mother and father went on one to the UK back in the late '60s. The voyage was delayed by several weeks, the captain was to be demoted on arrival, and didn’t leave his room, and they hit storms the whole way, leaving my motion-sensitive mother green and hardly able to eat for the duration.

She tells that story about once every three months. Among her many virtues, forgiveness appears to be lacking.

3 Likes

no. just no. that happens to be my nightmare!

12 Likes
8 Likes

Or not:

Cross-post with Dead Celebrity:

Damn

When she was in her 20s, Strain suffered a horseback riding injury that caused retrograde amnesia; essentially all memories of her childhood disappeared. The injury is also thought to be the cause of the dementia that took hold of her in recent years, and left her confined to hospice care since at least 2018.

Hell of a life, but way too short.

4 Likes

Holy moly.

3 Likes

Taarna in real life.
RIP, Julie :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes
20 Likes