God damn you 2020

Actually, she died in 2018. :frowning: Apparently someone at Yahoo didn’t get the news.

14 Likes

2020 is so bad that Aretha Franklin died twice.

15 Likes

After that funeral service? They must’ve really been off the grid…

12 Likes

Wow. That is all.

13 Likes

Made me flinch then double-take.

5 Likes
11 Likes

We knew about Teflon.
But dang, that’s a pretty big list.

Also: guitar strings?!?!
:cry:
I am still going to play guitar (badly) in any case. I guess I’ll just be sure to wash my hands afterwards, and not sweat too much on the strings. Or lick them.

ETA:

12 Likes

Neonatal exposure to PFOS and PFOA in mice results in changes in proteins which are important for neuronal growth and synaptogenesis in the developing brain - PubMed (nih.gov)

Perfluorooctanoic Acid–Induced Developmental Toxicity in the Mouse is Dependent on Expression of Peroxisome Proliferator–Activated Receptor-alpha | Toxicological Sciences | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICOGENOMIC STUDIES OF PFOA AND PFOS IN MICE. | Science Inventory | US EPA

One of my research interests has been the impact of PFOA and similar chemicals on autism-like disorders and developmental derangements in general. Yes, you can make an “autistic” mouse (not really, but some similar behaviors) by dosing PFOA to pregnant mice. Fun stuff.

19 Likes

@noahdjango… Had you heard about this? Thank god it’s been saved so far:

WABE was reporting from Manuel’s today, that’s how I heard.

The Colonnade is at risk, too:

13 Likes

That is a really interesting research topic.
As the daughter of a NICU nurse, I always had questions about what goes on with pre- and neonates because I saw some pretty serious serious medical issues on those preemies whenever I came by my mom’s unit to pick her up during her lunch hour. Brain injury is of course not so obvious when a layperson like me is just glancing through glass hallway windows into isolettes.

I already do research at an environmental engineering firm (for ~25 years, it’s a cool place to work!) will happily pass along any relevant bits I find.

Here’s one but it’s broadbrush; I was looking up something for an active duty military family (dad’s got lupus and RA, and I had questions about their on-base living quarters exposure):

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-115hhrg35728/html/CHRG-115hhrg35728.htm

Onebox isn’t, again, so from teh Goog’s description [briefly]:

“Open burn pits were used as a common waste disposal method at military … Member’s concern about the testimony about women veterans, birth defects . … When units would leave, anything they didn’t take with them went into a pile on the … of PFOS and PFOA in drinking water and groundwater on our military bases and …”

and

(e.g. p62)

Meantime, thanks for these links, because we work with an architect who specializes in natural building design and construction for people with health issues including sensitivity to PFOA and PFOS.

Dunno if you’ve seen it already, it’s downstream but addresses IAQ and other environmental toxins/bad actors in hospitals head-on:

11 Likes

animal-2020-is-almost-over-home-stretch-home-stretch

11 Likes

9 Likes
11 Likes

That is fascinating stuff. Honestly, I have focused on prenatal exposure and effects, really know nothing about the effects on mature bodies and nervous systems. The guys from the University of Texas who initially demonstrated the developmental effects in mice did not comment on any effects on the moms. Of course, that was not the focus of the study and I suspect they never looked. To be fair, I never thought to even ask about it. And that paper was quite a few years back. One of the drawbacks of specialization, I guess.

13 Likes

<goop>It can’t be something that makes my life cheap and convenient! Must be vaccines. </goop>

15 Likes

Yeah, teflon is a no-go at my house and has been for a couple decades. Cast iron is wonderful to cook on! It just takes a little TLC.

15 Likes

I really haven’t kept up since getting on the cast iron train way back when, but aren’t the new teflon alternatives supposedly free of those nasties? Or do they just spray a fine layer of Clean Coal on a thin sheet of aluminum and call it a day?

3 Likes

Honestly, don’t know. Never felt the need to look into them in any detail. Supposed to be a ceramic of some sort?

6 Likes

Apparently your ignorance of the subject rivals my own. Guess I’ll have to learn something the old fashioned way. Le sigh…

3 Likes

The biggest fool is the one who will not admit ignorance. – me

12 Likes