Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Doing the right thing. If you haven’t been to Montgomery, AL, USA, to see the National Memorial for Peace and Justice, it’s worth a visit. It’s exhausting, in a Holocaust Museum or Rape of Nanjing Museum way. But it, the Legacy Museum, and the Rosa Parks Museum are amazing. And they are the top tourism draws, by far, in the town.

11 Likes

30 Likes

16 Likes

Cross in Jan 6

20 Likes
10 Likes

This is a great story, from the Des Moines Register (behind a paywall so here’s a free link):

Michael Gartner gave Iowa Cubs employees $600,000 from the team’s sale. Here’s how it went down.

https://archive.fo/ODfCr

12 Likes
27 Likes
13 Likes

In Finland, the number of homeless people has fallen sharply. The reason: The country applies the “Housing First” concept. Those affected by homelessness receive a small apartment and counselling – without any preconditions. 4 out of 5 people affected thus make their way back into a stable life. And: All this is cheaper than accepting homelessness.

24 Likes
17 Likes

It was a jury trial and the jury heard how Colston helped enslave (I believe) 80,000 people.
ETA
This shows that the Tory culture war doesn’t actually garner support from twelve citizens when they actually sit down and think about what it is they are supposed to support. See also how in the face of Tory and oligarch media attacks the British people responded by record contributions to the Lifeguards protecting people at sea, at variance with the official policy of the English ruling elite,

23 Likes

This was a good reminder that carefully collecting all the evidence first and then hitting hard and fast is what Garland did for the Oklahoma bombing and what was done with Watergate as well:

20 Likes

Dare we hope?

11 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes

Is it lead poisoning? Or is a huge piece the decriminalization movement? And legislation for ensuring services that started bridging the school and adult service systems.

Testosterone levels decreased that entire time period. Yet we don’t make that simple construction a myth to explain everything.

12 Likes

It makes me wonder how they’re accounting for the number of teens who wind up in places like this:

10 Likes

The lead/crime link is one of Kevin Drum’s pet theories that he likes to bring up frequently, and obviously can’t everything on its own, but there are some very compelling studies that show it’s been a huge factor in crime reduction around the world. It’s not just some baseless crackpot theory at this point.

The main reason I posted this was that a reduction in imprisonment of young people (whatever the causes) is good and encouraging stuff.

12 Likes

Right? I’ve long hated the lead-poisoning explanation for high crime rates in areas where so many other systemic factors account for that. It further demonizes black youth.

6 Likes

How did they account for other factors and determine what portion was solely due to lead? And how did they determine what all other factors might be?

Sounds like crack babies the way so many people use it to reduce complexity sometimes.

6 Likes