Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

I totally agree. I remember being very resistant to change as an adolescent and very young adult. I became much more flexible and adaptable after 25. I do notice a certain excitement when we get to learn new software application at work.

Maybe this is why I’m more willing to mask up and go with the isolation flow. However, I haven’t lost my job, I don’t live alone, and my husband only had to furlough for six weeks. Our good fortune makes me realize that I have the luxury to go with the flow. I have no idea how much of a mess I’d be if one of us (or both of us) lost our job(s).

8 Likes

Now, whether those “reversals” will be in place in time for the election, we shall see. I suspect much foot dragging will ensue.

15 Likes

Yeah. I’ve found it strange that, in my regular workaday life, change management is a huge job, just getting people to change basic procedures or policies takes years of work and dealing with a lot of resistance.
But then, oddly, every time there’s a big election, one of the big selling points of a candidate is that they’ll be the change we need (not to paraphrase Obama). I agree that often we really do need to change, now more that recently, but it’s a funny quirk of human nature to resist it in day to day things even at one’s own detriment, but then have it be a rallying cry for political campaigns. These humans confuse me so.

3 Likes

Ah, yes… home of Fantastic Caverns, the Creation Experience Museum (Creationism) :roll_eyes: , a crap-ton of fraternity and sorority kids going to school there, Pythian Castle, and… The Ozarks.

2 Likes

I lived there for a long time and can say this: There are some actual very good people, and a whole lot more “really good people.” Bless their hearts.

4 Likes
14 Likes

I spent time in Springfield periodically, but lived in the St. Louis metro. I lived mostly in University City, one of the safer places to live as a very obviously not-white person who also does not talk, dress, think or act like the culturally dominant majority of wimmin who lived in my area.

Springfield prima facie seems pleasant enough in terms of its natural resources.
My experience with its inhabitants is somewhat mixed.

I hear you.

I suppose like everywhere else, the Happy Mutant’s job is to find the others.

11 Likes

These are lovely!

heart-eyes-mf

15 Likes

Hey politicians! Look what happens when you put your people, all your people, first. Ahead of capital.

Tl;dr
Ardern’s Labour party set to win and have a majority on their own. This is a big deal in a proportional representation system. What people want is generally more complex than one party or the other, this mandate is a ringing endorsement for people first elimination policy and empathy and inclusiveness ahead of partisan divisiveness.

15 Likes

“I can’t really go to a lot of restaurants anymore because I get yelled at,” he said on a National Review podcast released Monday. “I don’t feel threatened, but having someone scream, ‘Fuck you!’ at a restaurant, it just wrecks your meal.”

24 Likes

That right there - that’s a Five Star restaurant.

I’d pay extra to have yelling fuck you to Tucker Carlson be part of my dining experience.

19 Likes

That could just be the drain cleaner you’re tasting, Tucker.

18 Likes

3029747_orig

12 Likes

He should think twice about ordering the lobster bisque

13 Likes

Even at his one ‘safe’ restaurant, he should worry about his order being seasoned with saliva or his returned underdone steak being thrown to the floor, stepped on, then cooked a bit more before being returned to him. (A former colleague funded his uni tuition by working in restaurants in the Hamptons, and he observed the aforementioned — and more — many times. Almost die rigueur. Bon appétit, Tucker)

12 Likes
18 Likes

Wow, if that painting could talk.
What a saga.

Thanks for posting.

12 Likes

It’s also a beautiful painting by a Post-Impressionist I’d never heard of. Looking forward to researching this artist.

9 Likes

snl-fred-armisen-joy-behar-who-cares

11 Likes

You pay extra for that, some places:

6 Likes