Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

16 Likes

Bill Hader Yes GIF

10 Likes

Making basketball history

National women’s basketball team star Awak Kuier has made sports history as the first Finnish player to picked up in the WNBA draft.

Kuier was the second round choice Thursday by the Dallas Wings.

Ilta-Sanomat reports that the 19 year-old, 195-centimetre Kuier watched the draft from Italy where she is playing her first professional season.

Kuier was born in Egypt, where her parents fled from Sudan during the country’s civil war. The family moved to Kotka when Kuier was two years old. She has six siblings.

“I just want to say that I am so grateful to my father, my mother and siblings. I am grateful that I have a family that supports me in everything I do. I am so happy and grateful,” Kuier said in a television interview immediately after the draft.

“I want to be a role model for young Finnish basketball players. I want to be an example that they can do this, too.”

10 Likes
10 Likes

Although the volcano eruption isn’t stopping, people are being evacuated to other islands. That’s good news, and hopefully they will be able to get everyone to a safer location soon.

10 Likes
13 Likes

Our family has so many friends and acquaintances in St Lucia, where I’m sure most are going. The southern part of the island is mostly residents, with tourists more in the northern part, but I can’t imagine the smoke is all that much better in the southern part so probably everyone is on the road north.

10 Likes

About damn time.

5 Likes

Solar-to-Hydrogen Tech Sees “Remarkable” Efficiency Jump

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/renewables/solar-to-hydrogen-remarkable-efficiency-jump

10 Likes

After 35 years, a doctor finds and helps to treat his old preschool teacher, who was hospitalized with Covid-19. Dr. Flávio Borsetti took care of “Tia Elzinha”, as he always affectionately called Mrs. Elza Bussola Ribeiro,73 years old.

In 1986 the school boy Flávio wanted to give a jewel as a gift to “Aunt Elzinha”, unfortunately he and his mother could only buy an empty jewel box.

“I liked her so much, that at the time I ‘pissed off my mother’ so much asking her to buy a jewelry to my teacher. I didn’t get the jewelry, [but] I managed to give her a jewelry box. After many years, life has brought us face to face again, ”said Dr. Bosertti.

This week he discharged the former teacher, after she spent 40 days in an ICU bed in MatĂŁo, State of SĂŁo Paulo. Mrs. Elza kept the the beloved box all these years.

15 Likes

My oma’s darning egg (made of wood)

My merino wool socks from Costco, getting another round of mending, with the darning egg inserted into the toe (you can see a bit of the wood peeping through a hole on the right)

Skein of wool yarn, my latest holey socks (it’s a rotation thing, mending is)

sometimes I shore up thinned areas of the sock, before the holes actually appear (a stitch in time does sometimes save nine)

The mending is lumpy until the socks are washed and the yarns felt together. At that point, it’s the thickest (and newest) part of the sock. Mended socks not recommended for 3 mile walks, as I found out last week. Use new socks for that! But these mended woolies are perfectly fine for driving and chores and puttering about.

ETA: punctuation

15 Likes

I finally stopped darning socks in my mid-30s; the value of my time versus the cheapness of replacement (except for good quality wool socks) flipped at that point.

As a result, I’m wistful when I hear of someone who maintains the use of that traditional skill!

Here is an internet example of the egg I used:

I’ve never understood the eggs without a handle!

13 Likes

Awesome!

5 Likes

There are socks available with ballistic threading (Kevlar) at the toes and heels. I have a couple of those and they’ve held up very well over the past couple of years. Still running with 'em.

5 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Ward’s decision noted that the original hearing officer “lacked significant information about the conduct of Officer Kwiatkowski and his use of physical force in effecting arrests.”

My bet is someone was wearing earmuffs fashioned out of $100 bills.

11 Likes
13 Likes

From an FBOOK group:

Naiomi Glasses, una mujer navajo que ha demostrado sus habilidades en el skateboarding en los desiertos de Arizona, Estados Unidos.

Naiomi tiene 24 años y es originaria de Rock Point en Arizona y a través de sus redes sociales comparte la cultura nativo americana con el mundo. Ella es artesana, modelo, fotógrafa de perros y por supuesto, ama patinar.

Googly Translation:

Naiomi Glasses, a Navajo woman who has demonstrated her skills in skateboarding in the deserts of Arizona, United States.

Naiomi is 24 years old and is originally from Rock Point in Arizona and through her social networks she shares Native American culture with the world. She is a craftsman, model, dog photographer, and of course, loves to skate.

20 Likes
9 Likes