Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

https://www.newframe.com/constitutionalism-spared-jacob-zumas-wrecking-ball/

So it came to pass. Not in bloody violence and the use of human shields. Nor with former president Jacob Zuma’s knobkerrie-wielding son, Edward, defiantly swallowing the key to the gates of the family compound in Nkandla and taunting cops to bring on the guns (and laxatives). Rather, it was in the dead of night…

Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma went to jail. The first democratically elected president of a free South Africa to be imprisoned. In the early hours of 8 July, the Teflon man of South African politics entered a correctional services facility in Estcourt, KwaZulu-Natal, to start a 15-month prison term.

9 Likes

Saul disputed the White House’s ability to remove him. “I consider myself the term-protected Commissioner of Social Security,” he told The Post, adding he plans to sign in remotely and work on Monday.

Good luck with that after IT locks you out this weekend.

12 Likes
2 Likes

I hope security treats Saul exactly the way they would treat a stranger trying to gain access to the buildling.

10 Likes

Charlottesville removes Confederate statue at center of deadly 2017 protest

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::grinning:

14 Likes

Lol, hopefully it’s a work laptop. Even my rinky-dink university has an “auto-wipe” feature for when this sort of thing happens. Power up the laptop, log in to the laptop, and “boom,” everything is gone.

6 Likes

For those who’ve never heard of it, Dead by Daylight is a videogame that could be described as “horror movie hide-and-seek.” Five Four survivors race to repair generators to power exit gates and escape the arena; the killer chases them down to prevent that and, well, kill them. Both original and licensed characters from beloved horror franchises are available to play. There’s a variety of maps and add-ons available to make every match a different challenge.

The game is very popular among some Twitch streamers (which is where I heard of it-- I don’t play it myself.) The ones I like best are those who bring their sense of humor to the game-- the results can be hilarious and very entertaining to watch. One of these streamers is Max, a.k.a. Puppers, who’s been playing the game online pretty much from its beginning. Unfortunately, Max was diagnosed with ALS. Many of his fellow DBD streamers have chosen to come together to arrange a fundraiser/tournament to show their support and love for him, and make sure he has money for the best treatment possible.

I wouldn’t recommend checking this out for anyone who dislikes or can’t watch horror; naturally, there’s violence in the game. But I find it beautiful (and encouraging) to see a community come together to help one of their own.

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

16 Likes
4 Likes

The Air Carrier Access Amendments Act will:
 Strengthen ACAA enforcement by requiring DOT to levy civil penalties for violations and refer complaints to the Department of Justice for possible further enforcement and establishing of a private right of action.
 Ensure new airplanes are designed to accommodate the needs of people with disabilities by requiring airlines to meet defined accessibility standards. These standards will address safe and effective boarding and deplaning, visually accessible announcements, seating accommodations, lavatories, and better stowage options for assistive devices.
 Require removal of access barriers on existing airplanes to the extent that it is readily achievable, easily accomplishable, and may be done without much difficulty or expense.
 Improve the overall safety of air travel for passengers with disabilities.

14 Likes

Washington Football Team to Select New Name, Logo With No Ties to Native American Imagery

17 Likes

I can easily see them fucking this all up anyway.

7 Likes

I dunno why, but after reading all the shite news this morning, this really tugged at my heart:

13 Likes

After an over year-long delay, our single use plastic bag ban has finally gone into effect in Maine, and NOW THIS!!!

This is SO exciting! It’s been in the works for a looong time, and I kept getting nervous the Gov. wouldn’t sign, but here we are.
@j9c, totally made me think of you.

15 Likes
8 Likes

Does anyone believe that the party of insurrection, more radicalized than ever before, would fail to take advantage of the new legal landscape? It seems doubtful that a President Ron DeSantis or Josh Hawley or Tucker Carlson would permit Biden’s appointees to retain control over executive agencies. For better or worse, that era is over.

:grimacing: :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

Good on all y’all, Mainers!
A better world is possible.

I read the link.
Thank y’all for leading the way.

Also, brace yourselves for the countermoves that Big Plastic will bring to you and yours, with a myriad of counterarguments. Fight fight fight!

6 Likes

The preferred term is “Maine-iacs,” but kudos accepted and treasured.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
The challenges are anticipated. We already saw it with industry using COVID anxiety to delay the plastic bag ban for so long. I hope that we can be a prototype for other states to do even better.
Somewhat related, MN just passed the ECO Act, so utility programs working for energy efficiency (e.e.) can spend money to bring homes into condition, by doing asbestos remediation and other things that don’t save energy, but are needed for the e.e. work to happen. Also made me think of you.

11 Likes
10 Likes

Ensure new airplanes are designed to accommodate the needs of people with disabilities

Sadly, being 6’8" isn’t a “disability” for purposes of air travel, or at least according to Transport Canada.

I’ve been unable to stand after a flight (I misjudged, fell asleep in exhaustion, and got knees squeezed on a very long flight), spent an entire trans-Pacific flight bolt upright and backwards in a crew jump seat (knee room seats booked by the pensioners, it seems), or quite simply been unable to take my seat (had booked knee-room seat, plane got swapped out, no knee room on the new plane). One memorable and blessedly short flight (MIAT, Antonov A-26) they couldn’t close the cockpit door because of my knees (Mongolians are collectively fantastic, but not known for being tall).

I was surprised when KLM didn’t have better seat pitch, given that the average Dutch guy is 3" taller than the average Englishman (or, at least, one with Norman ancestry) and statistically, there will be 3 guys my height in an average full 747. That said, they bumped me to business class, which doesn’t suck (pays to dress a bit better sometimes).

So yeah, bring on the passenger rights, eh…

8 Likes