Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Excellent!

9 Likes
16 Likes

Fake news. Trump’s a teetotaler! He’d never wash his money in scotch.

10 Likes

From that defamation lawsuit:

On January 27, the pro-Trump channel OAN broadcast a segment interviewing an “expert mathematician” named Ed Solomon who claimed to have found evidence within precinct-level reporting that the election was rigged by an algorithm. The basis of Solomon’s claim is that he found several precincts throughout the country reporting exactly the same results at various times throughout the vote tabulation process.

Asked by host Christina Bobb what the likelihood of what Solomon claimed to have found being a coincidence is, Solomon replied, “You can use the binomial probability formula, and the chance of that event happening is one over ten to an exponent so large there’s not enough stars in the universe—there’s not enough atoms in the universe to explain the number. It can’t happen naturally.”

If this sounds suspiciously vague for a mathematician, that’s because Solomon is not actually a mathematician, according to a lawsuit voting machine company Dominion filed against OAN for knowingly reporting defamatory claims against the company in the wake of Trump’s loss. In fact, according to the lawsuit, Solomon is a convicted drug dealer and “was working as an ‘installer’ at a swing set construction company in Long Island” at the time of the interview.

According to a FactCheck.org review of Solomon’s segment, his mathematical expertise is limited to having taken a few math classes at Stony Brook University from 2008 to 2015. He never received a degree.

16 Likes
9 Likes

They don’t even know what a person who is good at mathematics would be called. “Expert mathematician” is not a thing.

13 Likes

“Here’s your sine?”

8 Likes

But he was a Mathlete!

7 Likes

Hey all you metal heads…

5 Likes
12 Likes

“Expert mathematician” is not a thing .

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cedric Villani, Fields Medal Winner for 2014 is probably our best ambassador for math… (and he dresses like Dr. Who. :slightly_smiling_face: ) I went to his Fields Medal talk and he’s immensely entertaining and effective as an educator at a popular and expert level.

…but I do get your drift, “expert mathematician” is an odd thing to hold out as a qualification… :thinking:

4 Likes

He’s cosplaying.

11 Likes

What I mean is that “fields meal winner” is a thing. “Professor of combinatorics” is a thing. “PhD in Non-Euclidean Geometries” is a thing. Even a functional description likes, “is a mathematician employed by NASA” would be a thing.

And anyone with any of those qualifications might be described as an “expert mathematician” casually. But introducing someone as a “math expert” for your interview kind of gives away the game: there wasn’t another way to describe them that would actually mean something.

14 Likes

3 Likes

Caitlyn approves!

caitlin-doughty-skull-eyebrows

13 Likes

I have not seen the news yet myself, but my 19yo just texted to say that Britney is FREE!

16 Likes

Yup:

21 Likes

Good for her.

Even if she should make bad choices going forward, they’re hers to make, because she’s a freakin’ adult with agency.

I genuinely wish her the best.

19 Likes

While this is encouraging news that her dad is stepping aside, she is not free - the conservatorship is transitioning to a new conservator.

So, good news, progress, but not over yet

8 Likes
18 Likes