Google changed the settings on Android phones without their owners' permission

Or are we going to be a little bit of both and a slight bit of neither? Yes, the mass of “consumers” are headed toward the “rental” and “subscription” model for everything. It’s going to become more and more pervasive. Most people will just accept it. I don’t know what else to say, other than it’s really gonna suck when we finally land in some bizarre-o cyber-feudal order.

My mental image of what BB does daily is about the same as zoo staff throwing junks of meat into various pits for the internetz animals to pounce on.

2 Likes

Thank you for this fresh perspective. I will avoid most of the internet.

Right?

There’s a good reason they call all those little widgets of clickbait that you see on like 90% of all monetized sites “chum buckets.”

It’s great to have high standards when it comes to one’s consumption of info; but we must also realize those standards are often not going to be met, because of the inherent nature of the internet, where the primary goal of most sites is get as many clicks as possible in order to attract deep pocket advertisers.

You’re most welcome, and I promise that if you start with this site, no one here will take it personally.

2 Likes

So true.

A long time ago (damn, 19 years and counting. I feel old.) when I first went to Burning Man someone gave me some useful advice. If you see a camp that you don’t like. You could spend your time being angry because some people are doing something you don’t like or you could turn your head 6 degrees and find the camp of your dreams filled with your lost tribe of soulmates. How you spend your time here is ultimately about your choices and not the choices of others.

2 Likes

Actually, if you consider smartphones (or John Deere tractors, as someone pointed out), we are heading to a society where you buy stuff outright, paying the full price and still need to pay a full monthly rent to actually use the property you bought.

Which is perfect for the revenues of large monopolistic corporations.

4 Likes

I wondered why you and others signed in to defend google, because I see this regularly and not on this forum only. When some large corporation or brand is criticized on forums, any forum, there are very often some new users popping out of nowhere to derail the conversation. If it did not happen that often I would not have noticed.

Now, knowing that this is google, for all I know, you could be some IA construct. That would not surprise me. Eventually, I expect google and others to develop an army of bots capable to pass the Turing test.

2 Likes

I guess I am defending Google because I think this was a stupid honest mistake they made with no serious consequences. They accidentally pushed a test feature to production which turned on battery saving mode. Some people suffered from longer battery life but I think that was the extent of the damage.

It caused me to lose some field work - the battery-saving mode shuts down GPS, and I routinely run GPS with the phone in standby to record tracks.

I dunno why corporations expect as to pay for things if we can’t own it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.