Google launches "plus codes": open geocodes for locations that don't have street addresses

We should get started already and find twin cities in those Gplus codes.

Something about the title of this article draws the eye.

Google launches “plus codes”:

1 Like

I was just thinking this sounded so familiar. Almost as if we already have a system that does this.

Now if someone would just invent a device that could use this system… How about in conjunction with a network of satellites… Oh damn, somebody beat me to it.

1 Like

I don’t like that there is no way to distinguish the four-character code for a wide area, like 76X6 for Houston, TX, from to code for a small area, like the same 76X6 in 76X6. Perhaps the convention should be that the latter should always be used with the plus behind: 76X6: wide area, 76X6+: small area., or just using one zero to denote the wide area, e.e. 76X60 for Houston. I hate having to use 76X60000+, that is just ugly. Another option would be to use a dash: 76X6- for the wide area, -7686 for the smaller one. Whole address of the trunk of some tree: 76X6-76X6+87F.

1 Like

Alright, I’m intrigued. I hear and share concerns about Google as controlling the world, but also, as a developer, think this is pretty cool and satisfying. As a Mainer, it reminds me of state geography lessons:

Just because this is irrespective of political boundaries doesn’t mean there won’t be political resistance to being defined externally, even if the assignment is/feels intentionally arbitrary. I wonder if, e.g. they made sure China’s main pefix was in the 8’s to grease the wheels…

2 Likes

Because basically everybody can use GMaps

Russia raises eyebrows, sticks out bottom lip, and side-eyes plus codes

4 Likes

The interface is still a bit clunky. From the “plus codes” website you can click on the map and get a code, but in online Google Maps it’s still only using latitude and longitude to describe places.

At least it’s not the ‘missle address’ that was once proposed for X.500? /rimshot

I suspect that it’s in the vicinity of “quirky mating rituals”. Not a bad neighborhood all told.

3 Likes

In Russia, code plus uses you.

We had this conversation a little while ago. Something like this would be great for countries like Costa Rica.

1 Like

Should make drone strikes much more precise.

1 Like

a relevant Tom Scott

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.