Google quietly makes "optional" web DRM mandatory in Chrome

They’ve been pushing DRM and copy protection to limited effect for the 30+ years I’ve been paying attention, hence quixotic. You know the definition of insanity that includes doing the same thing over and over? Even with their lobbyists, lawyers, trade deals, and the acceleration of technology wind at their back, any solution they have delivered to market since the advent of VHS has still proven surmountable. They also have failed in the courts on such fundamental grounds as right of first sale, and they continue to fight a guerilla war against fair use because it would be folly to take it head on and establish much precedent. The one place they’ve succeeded most has been copyright extension.

I can understand disagreeing with the underlying philosophy, but to call it “malware” when they’re being completely up-front about it seems… Hyperbolic? Either you know more details that you haven’t mentioned, or we have very different ideas of what constitutes malware.

OTOH, that one bothers me a fair bit more.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.