GOP declares war on itself

You’ve all been fooled into thinking that right vs. left or republican vs. democrat matters. They’re all the same, in that we the people don’t get much for our vote. All the power stays with the wealth and corporations. Until something changes that, we’re all wasting our time, really. Still, get out there and vote, it’s all the power you’ve got.

1 Like

On the plus side this will become a government position:

2 Likes

Yep, just like the War on Drugz. I say when they lose this one they are required to have a formal surrender to Stupidity, perhaps on board one of the battleships they were proposing to build for the navy of Wyoming after the collapse of the US.

1 Like

May have seen this coming in 1999.

The pro-rich leaders of the Republicans are basically conmen who started a cult. The unfortunate end of many such conmen is that they are usurped by their own true believers.

I just find it amazing that these people don’t see how well the whole thing is working out for them. American politics has a left, a right and a centre in between. Right has been redefined as “pro-rich” (I’m pretty sure it didn’t always mean this) and then moved further and further. The response has been the centre has moved, then the left, in an effort to be more centrist, has moved to the centre. At this point the centre is pretty far to the right of most Americans who think of themselves as right-wing.

If there is a party of idiots and a party of snobs then we can have endless debates about who is an idiot and who is a snob and no debates about how the nation is screwed. I honestly thought this was the plan. I’m glad to see that they aren’t actually that clever.

1 Like

He points out the delicious irony of svengalis like Karl Rove and Dick Armey – who put GW Bush in the White House by gleefully pandering to the ignorant and prejudiced with “faith-based initiatives” to bring in “the nuts” (as Rove calls evangelicals when he thinks he’s in private) and Swift-Boating – now having to keep those people from derailing the party and scaring off all the millionaires and billionaires.

The same could be said of the Democrats’ attitudes to the readers of Boing Boing and Netroots generally, and Cory Doctorow in particular.

When I think of the alliance between the Big Business Republicans and the Tea Bag Republicans, I am reminded of the scene in Cabaret, where the rich German talks about allowing the Nazis to grow so that they get rid of the Communists.

The tool got bigger than the wielders.

Actually the Clintons and President Obama are center-right only if you shift Presidents Nixon and Eisenhower to being Liberals.

2 Likes

bottomless pit of … Santorums

Phrasing!

Nah our options are just as limited, just everything shifted a little to the left. Although that’s changed a little since the last election, so we’ll see…

Our extreme right is a different kind of crazy to yours though. Ours mostly just hates brown people (and Europe, boy do they hate Europe).

I already have my ballot decided. It may not work unless a whole lot more people feel the same, but I figure all change is better than what’s going on now. My only goal is to fire everyone running this cluster right now. Therefore:

In cases where a third party candidate is listed, that candidate gets my vote.

In cases where only 2 candidates are listed, the incumbent does not get my vote.

Really, for all we can tell right now, the elephants may push a successful third party into existence - or maybe, they’ll merely push ‘the nuts’ to the donk side of the aisle. I don’t know. As far as I tell, most of the real 'nuts; and ‘stupid people’ are already occupying an office. You can barely tell them apart any more anyway, so it really doesn’t matter who’s a nut or a snob, a rich industrialist or a union member, or left or right anyway. Fire them all.

Also, the plural form is Santora.

There is no “Tea Party”. The label is a term d’art designed expressly to lend political and social relevance to the scions of the right-wing loons exorcised from the GOP 4+ decades ago by William F. Buckley. Buckley’s departure from the National Review in 2004 then 2008 death cleared the way for wilderness-dwelling right-wingers to come in from the cold and rejoin the party of record. The funds for and promoters of a coordinated effort to reintegrate the right’s lunatic fringe found enthusiastic champions in Dick Armey and the brothers Koch who together invented “Freedom Works”; the Scaife family’s paranoid politics and deep pockets that fuel The Club for Growth, Judicial Watch, Pepperdine U., as well as a laundry list of active and defunct media outlets (e.g.: Pittsburgh Press); and last but (far from) least the John Birch Society - yes, the very same Birchers parodied brilliantly by Kubrick in Dr. Strangelove. OPE, y’all!

The people who had been active members or simply sympathetic followers of these and like organizations have always been the silt and sludge forming the bottom of the GOP/right-wing political pond. If and when these people vote or otherwise participate in the political process their endeavors have always been in support of the GOP from county commissioner to President. The intemperate inflexibility of these individuals is as obvious and problematic for the GOP today as it was during Buckley’s era of influence. The inevitability of fractious internal politics should not tranquilize those whose politics stand in stark contrast to “Tea Party” imperatives allowing them (us?) to remain at arm’s-length awaiting the in-fighting and purity battles to expedite the fall.

In the end, discussing right-wing/GOP politics in the terms that their marketing gurus invent serves only to perpetuate a fiction and emboldens those who derive much of their identity from that fiction. Dispensing with political marketese is as necessary an undertaking as that which makes BoingBoing such a delight - that being the unwavering deconstruction of the language mangling malapropisms favored by tech vendors, investors and cheer-leading pundits.

1 Like

which reside in the Sanitarium

Yeah, a millionaire/billionaire and a “union member” live pretty much the same life…

It’s come down to a matter of the lesser of two evils.

I believe there needs to be a collective noun. A GOP of Santora. The faintly onomatopoeic pronunciation lends it an extra frisson, don’t you think?

I too don’t want to make this about Obama, but as someone who is pretty far left and was an enthusiastic voter for him… I’ve been terribly disappointed and I blame him at least partially for the way things have worked out.

LIkewise. However, I’m still convinced he was the best choice among those offered, or would be if the GOP wasn’t holding the country hostage to prevent his moving forward along any of the directions we elected him to pursue.The fact that he has also failed to even attempt to pursue some of them, and indeed has set them aside as too difficult to attempt, is where the disappointment arises… but the lesser weasel is still the lesser weasel.

Once again, you stretch very far to try to level your accusations and insults. I compared their politics - not their lives.

I can recommend an excellent reading comprehension program, if you’d like.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.