Grad student defended her dissertation while wearing a skirt made of rejection letters

Here’s the other perspective. Your imaginary word, much like imaginary friends, is only real for you. English is broken enough, could we start easing off on the random exceptions? As my long-suffering 6th grade English teacher would say, “Because it sounds right is always the wrong answer”.

1 Like

Don’t be on the losing side of history.

That was cute.

Is that what they call crib-side manner?

3 Likes

Without the slightest doubt. I was very odd. Still am, but . . . Tenure!

1 Like

No, we can’t. It’s English.

4 Likes

Personally, I like the idea that “data” has shifted from a countable noun to a mass noun over time, as the quantity of data that we are exposed to in our lives has increased.

1 Like

The one thing we all have in common is our eventual demise. We are all on the losing side of history.

I’m not going to like that comment.

Wow. You’re wrong about english and history.

Wanna go for a tifecta - the world is flat, maybe? Or perhaps suggest that pepsi tastes better than coke? C’mon, we all know you have it in you!

When she hits the job market, she can have a whole wardrobe!

1 Like

Nah- employers don’t bother with rejection letters any more- they just go silent when you don’t get the job.

4 Likes

It sounds like something Marley’s Ghost would wear in an academic version of A Christmas Carol.

4 Likes

‘‘No space of regret can make enough adjuncts for one life’s tenure misused.’’

2 Likes

I must have missed where they noted her area of study in the LJ article, but from Twitter:

4 Likes

Very cool, and a very necessary specialty going forward. Whether or not she goes into academia, her job prospects are very solid. Doing this high-profile stunt doesn’t hurt either, since it shows creative thinking.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.