Great deal is back on LED light bulbs

Yeah, I suspect poor QA. They were purchased from big box stores and were major brands, so counterfeits seem unlikely. I wondered if two of them had something to do with the dimmer switch, though both were rated for that, and the third bulb seems to be lasting longer. Hopefully they were flukes.

I take LEDs (and all non-incandescent lights, really) to the same hazardous/electronic waste recycling center as I take my batteries (since they’re not legally supposed to be thrown away).

I have seen that it’s possible to reuse components from LED and CFL bulbs, but i very much lack the technical knowledge to undertake that adventure.

1 Like

Weird. I’ve had 3 or 4 burn out too soon. But I’ve got about 40 in my main house, my vacation house and my rental house. I even have some funny looking ones that must be some of the originals that I got 10 years ago.

I can remember paying $20 for some of them. So when I started seeing prices in the $2 range I figured I’d stock up. I look at those unused boxes and laugh. Seems, for me at least, buying them like buying incandescents is a waste. Mine just won’t die. Thus, those 6 pack boxes I bought as spares just won’t get used.

Sorry for your experiences.

1 Like

I’ve had 3 or 4 out of a dozen (at most) burn out too soon. I had a big backlog of incandescent bulbs in storage to go through before I started replacing them with LEDs, so I still have incandescent bulbs in the house, for less-used lights (and light fixtures that can’t take LEDs). So it’s been weird to have so many bulbs, that should be lasting for 20 years, only last one (or less). Hopefully it was just a statistically anomaly.

I typically try to keep a pack of 3 or 6 LED bulbs, i very rarely need to replace bulbs. The ones i do replace somewhat regularly are my CFL ones for my indoor plants, i’d love to get some LED grow lights but i don’t have the space for those and they’re much too expensive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.