Grindz coffee grinder cleaner

I hear ya, but I’m buying literally the cheapest whole beans at the supermarket. the robustos are cheaper, but the ones at that price really suck (Kroger “Spotlight” if you don’t believe me.) my whole MO is more “deliver the caffeine without making the taste unpleasant” over “make the best tasting coffee possible.”

I bought from them as well, for the same reasons. Wonderful videos.

I remember when this stuff first came out there were some pretty substantial threads about it on alt.coffee (yes, it was a long time ago!), and I was firmly in the “rice works well for me” camp. A few years ago I had a chance of getting some Grindz very cheap, so I gave it a try on impulse. It worked really really well, better than the rice/oats combination I’d been using for over 20 years, with less left behind in the machine after grinding than with rice (I think because it is less dense). To be honest, I didn’t expect it to work as well as it does.

I wouldn’t use this every day, but every month or two I supplement my usual grinder brush-out with a capful. I also use it if I’ve been grinding especially oily beans. It lasts a long time, I get around 6-8 months out of a 215g jar, and that’s with a commercial grinder. Incidentally, the “Full Circle” version is just as good and is sometimes cheaper.

2 Likes

I guess that the criticism hit home: in my machine’s instruction manual, they recommended using vinegar to descale the unit (diluted 1:1 in the water tank).

I was a little surprised and wondered about chemical compatibility with the gaskets and the metals - I have appliance that specifically warn against using vinegar - but it was what they recommended so… And it does the job. I’ve taken it apart, absolutely no scaling.

Citric acid works quite well and faster, but vinegar costs nothing. Of course, YMMV.

No! That’s not artisanal. Why even have a coffee grinder if you’re not using artisanal cleaning products? May as well drink Sanka.

I have a coffee grinder for spices, not coffee. We are not coffee people, we’re tea people.

How much do you run through the grinder and how often do you clean? I tend to run rice through my hand-crank burr grinders, as others have suggested.

I am paranoid about running things that expand a lot with water through my superautomatic machine, though. I think that Grindz is not recommended for those either. Puly Grind was, but those are a whopping $27 for ten packets. I hence use them only once or twice a year.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.