Half of Americans are afraid for their money's safety in banks

IMG_8401

8 Likes

Always practice good coin control :+1:

8 Likes

Most Americans don’t have $600 for an emergency.

10 Likes

Royal Crown pomade tin is the best thing to keep your money in.

4 Likes

I really, strongly suspect you are wrong. The majority of Americans would be in terrible trouble with an unexpected $1000 bill. To have >$250k in liquid assets? There are very few who have that worry. Of course, far too many don’t understand that at all.

8 Likes

And that insurance is almost always just for third party liability, and the cost to rebuild it - both of which are required for a mortgage, and both of which protect the mortgagee/bank (as well as the mortgagor/homeowner). Anyways, that insurance doesn’t help if you lose your job and can’t pay the mortgage - which is scary for me as a “homeowner.” I guess it helps private equity pick up more real property in the short sales following the epidemic of deed foreclosures, though.

4 Likes

I’d be curious to know if it’s down to some Heisenberg-for-pollsters problem where you can either ask the question you really mean; or get answers that aren’t push-polled; but not both at the same time; or if the poll and the article were just written by different people and not checked for consistency with one another very well.

I can imagine that just asking “Do you think the FDIC will fail to protect your deposit during a bank collapse?” might perturb the answers you get more or less sharply; but it seems unfortunate to represent a question that covers level of anxiety about the safety of money, from all causes, in the hands of anyone who is or seeks to look sort of like part of the financial sector is being written up as though it’s a poll about confidence in FDIC coverage.

4 Likes

It is an unreasonable conclusion because the demographic is question is definitely 100% covered by FDIC deposit insurance. It does not matter how far extended the bank is. The problem is that Americans have lost faith in all institutions because the GOP has intentionally undermined that faith as part of their effort to tear down government and consolidate power for the wealthy.

5 Likes

You might want to consider to add that to your original post as an ETA.

2 Likes

I’m just going to point out that the discussion is missing one type of account that might reasonably be over FDIC limits and affect people: corporate payroll. This was mentioned in recent articles about the Silicon Valley Bank collapse. (Also mentioned was “Why didn’t they spread payroll over several accounts and banks?” but while that sounds like a good practice, I don’t know if it is actually common.)

A little arithmetic to give a reasonable scale to payroll account balances: 50 people at $60K take home pay are exactly at $250K monthly.

3 Likes

Good reminder that SNL tanked a Democratic candidate, arguably resulting in a corrupt shorty Republican admin, and boosted a corrupt shitty Republican candidate arguably helping him win.

5 Likes

But, but… they’re WOKE! /s

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.