Halp! Iced Tea: šŸµ Varities and Recipies? šŸ¹

Well, if you want real sweet tea, yesā€¦ It just doesnā€™t workā€¦ believe me, Iā€™ve tried! For good sweet tea, you need to add the sugar when the water is still hot. Even adding simple syrup isnā€™t quite the same. Itā€™s an art, manā€¦ an art!

And most southern restaurants serve both, so no worries when visiting down here. They know how to make it unsweetened as well!

4 Likes

Use a simple syrup; thatā€™ll help you in adding sugar when itā€™s iced. Just pour in the syrup.

3 Likes

I like my iced tea unsweetened and astringent, so I usually start with an Irish breakfast tea (like Bewleyā€™s) brewed double strength and a couple of minutes too long, then pour over ice.

Not fully on topic, but for iced coffee I make shakeratos quite often, and that starts by adding the sugar to the ice cubes. Iā€™ve tried dissolving the sugar in the espresso before dumping in the shaker, it is not as good.

6 Likes

as a restaurant vet in TN and GA, getting orders for half-and-half tea is really common. every once in a while, someone orders fully unsweet, too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m generally an Earl-Grey-over-ice man, butā€¦

My mom used to mix equal parts Constant Comment and Lipton, which I thought tasted pretty good.

4 Likes

I think the reason it never caught on with me is because my idea of sweet and the general American idea of sweet tends toward a significant difference of degrees. To me sweetness is a balancer, but never a full anchor, and should sit in egalitarian compliment to other flavors rather than steal the spotlight.

Everyone keep these awesome comments and suggestions coming! :+1:

4 Likes

1 Like

Why not? A simple syrup is just a premade syrup made of just sugar and water, and it works well with adding sweetness to iced tea, ice coffee and such.

2 Likes

Just not the sameā€¦ Add sugar when the tea is still hot, or itā€™s just not sweet tea. [ETA] Also, most restuarants Iā€™ve been to that donā€™t serve sweet tea tend to not have simple syrup for the table.

Yes. I am a sweet tea extremist! :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, I see. I understand. Iced tea is one thing, but Sweet Tea is Serious Business :smiley:

6 Likes

Exactly. Itā€™s a science, making it right. Old southern grannies hoard that and their fried chicken and biscuit making knowledge. THEY ARE OUR GREATEST UNTAPPED CULINARY RESOURCE!

5 Likes

Or a religion it seems at times just see what happens happens when you get several southerners talking about it when they are somewhere north of that imaginary tea line.

I am curious what @Mindysan33 thinks of @popobawa4u 's suggestion of Morrocan tea. In my mind that would be similar style but I may blaspheme. Then again I am so far north that there is an international border involved.

3 Likes

Talk with Michael Twitty, Iā€™m sure he has tips to share on Southern Cooking :smiley:

4 Likes

Iā€™ll allow it.

4 Likes

Oh! I love these sorts of books, that chart a culinary history. Iā€™ll have to check that out. Thanks for the link.

3 Likes

Glad to be of service! Michael is a wonderful human being, and he deserves all of the attention he can get.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 177 days. New replies are no longer allowed.