Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

If you use the sugar just be careful cause it’ll burn real quick. I usually do it on the charcoal grill after we’ve eaten dinner and the fire has burned down. Low on propane should work.

It’s like a very half assed bananas foster.

You’ll need a bone saw if you can’t source boneless bananas though.

6 Likes

Bananaque is a popular street snack in the Philippines.

5 Likes

Literal sweet meats. :yum:

7 Likes

My wife tried piemaking for the first time. She made a kabocha and sweet potato pie. Came out very well. She used puff pastry sheets for the crust. The filling was just baked, mashed with some heavy cream and some sugar added. Just the right amount of sweetness.

13 Likes

That looks like the perfect breakfast food!

5 Likes

Fried Kimchi rice tonight.
Leftover red rice and Jasmine rice in the steel wok with green onions.
A 1/4 teaspoon of ghee or high heat oil.
Red Kimchi chopped small and tossed in a few minutes before serving.

8 Likes

10 Likes

:laughing: :crazy_face: :scream:

5 Likes

I’m not a hot dog. I’m an ugly giant bag of mostly water.

6 Likes

As a meat bag myself I approve of this concept.

5 Likes

OT, but it also works if you read it in Werner Herzog’s voice as well as Žižeks.

4 Likes

I’m a sandwich!
(hot dog = sandwich)

4 Likes

My time with the winter/storage crops continues, so I made a really yummy beet salad today. I had something similar in NoLa ages ago.
Roasted beets, chopped (I roast them whole, tightly wrapped in foil. After they cool you can just rub the skin off with your fingers.)
About 1C dry black eyed peas, soaked and cooked (I used soldier beans, also pretty and just as tasty)
Throw these both in a bowl and top with a vinaigrette of 1/3C vinegar (used brown rice, but red wine vinegar would be good, too), 2T olive oil, 2T mustard, squirt lemon juice and salt. I should’ve included fresh parsley but I’m out.
Toss and top with crumbled feta and toasted chopped pecans.
It made for a really hearty lunch that felt nutritious yet decadent. The fresh parsley would make it look even nicer.

I kept the extra feta and pecans separate, and the main salad is sturdy, so I think it’ll keep well in the fridge for a few days. A perfect weekday lunch.

And in case anyone has any doubts about the wonder of beets, some recommended reading :wink:

11 Likes

oh man do I love that book!
not only the magic of beets, but the perfect taco
and hemp sandals!

6 Likes
9 Likes

Hard cooked egg cut 6 ways. Marinated in home made Katsu sauce in the fridge for 3 days. Came out swell! Next time I need to add some Korean Gochujang.

12 Likes

I improvised roast chicken thighs stuffed with bacon and leeks and used Carla’s recipe for Instant Pot polenta caccio e pepe.

10 Likes

Chicken thigh night! Laurie did some baked chicken thighs marinated in the fridge with goat milk kefir and rolled in panko. Secret dry spices too!

7 Likes

Oh goody. As of late I have been buying from the supermarket near my building, “cheese ends” from its deli. Essentially the parts of the blocks of cheese they couldn’t thinly slice. They are easy to cut into planks for snacking, and at half price. Plus you get a random variety. It feels so frugal.

8 Likes

Chicken thighs make the best teriyaki and tandoori.

Simple teriyaki sauce
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water or sake

Boil it down to a reduction and brush on cooked chicken or use as a marinade.

6 Likes