Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Me, too. I am always up for bread pics, mainly because I am worthless as a baker. But I’m also upping my Instant Pot game thanks to the kind posters here. Tonight, Instant Pot chicken paprikash!

8 Likes

Racczilla!

9 Likes

What does that say on the ground? “HAPPY TOAST”? If I want toast, do I have to have raccoons?

8 Likes

Oh, funny, I’ve used that gif before but never noticed the words.
You can have happy toast without raccoons, but I think butter might be required.

Somewhat more related to the thread, we made our seedling order today for the gardens, to pick up in late May! It’s the sparkle of the beginning of future food posts. :crossed_fingers:

13 Likes

Wait, are you trying to say that toast isn’t related in the Food Topic??

I have a friend who says she doesn’t like to cook. She always says—and I quote: My idea of a hot meal is toast. :laughing:

9 Likes

Haha, not at all. Just felt guilty hijacking it with silly gifs. :wink:

ETA: this whole account is a food goldmine, found it linked from Rob’s Aspic post:

13 Likes

I just turned over the soil in the raised beds and added some amendments. Didn’t need much this year - the underlying soil is already black gold! I found one volunteer potato deep, trying to sprout it’s way to the surface. I planted it a few inches down to give it a better chance.

Meanwhile, the herb pots are already going, since they are close to the house and get some nice radiated warmth from leaking heat and a southern exposure. The mint is still pretty small, but the chives are going gangbusters.

Is that…iceberg lettuce? I mean, if it’s cabbage, it’s at least a wild variant of stuffed cabbage. But if that’s iceberg lettuce, I mean, I just can’t…

9 Likes

Im pretty sure it’s iceberg, based on the leaf structure and tightness.
I found this, in case you want to try it at home:

I will not be trying it at home, but I am kind of enamored of the idea of stuffing a head of iceberg with something, then essentially having “slices of salad” as opposed to the typical wedge salad…I could imagine a cool take on a taco salad, or chicken enchiladas, which are so yummy served over crunchy iceberg…maybe drizzle the slices with warm enchilada sauce.

11 Likes

Instant Pot chicken paprikash:

(Darn, my plating photos didn’t turn out)

I didn’t really follow one particular recipe. I checked out a bunch of both traditional and Instant Pot recipes and kinda smushed them together. I’m happy with how tender the chicken is and how red and flavorful the sauce is. A lot of the Instant Pot recipes come out pale orange instead of bright red. The sauce was thick, almost cheesy (but there’s no cheese in it).

10 Likes

“Meat has always been politicized and meat-eating tied to a lot of perceptions of American identity and masculinity, especially here in the American West,” Heide Bruckner, a professor at Colorado University, toldColorado Public Radio following Polis’s announcement. Bruckner, whose research involves alternative food systems like urban gardens, organic food and animal-welfare certified meat, supports MeatOut Day as an easy way for people to think about their food choices. “There is a large area in between that all-or-nothing approach that we really should explore,” she said. “Realistically, one day isn’t radically going to shift perception, change behaviors or reduce meat consumption. But I do believe it can provide an opening for some to consider the role that meat plays in their diet.”

Perhaps there hasn’t been a radical shift in perception regarding meat, but there has been a steady growing shift. Since MeatOut was first launched 35 years ago, Polis pointed out in his proclamation, “more than 35 million Americans have explored a plant-based diet and reduced their consumption of meat, dairy, and eggs; and major food manufactures and national franchises are marketing more vegan options in response to this growing demand.”

Young people are driving that shift. According to research conducted in 2019 and published last year by YouGov, a London-based market research firm, millennials (22 percent) are far more likely than Gen Xers (13 percent) and Baby Boomers (11 percent) to say they’ve adopted a vegetarian diet. In 2019, YouGov polling found that more than one in five young Americans “say they would be willing to eliminate meat from their diet in order to reduce carbon emissions and combat climate change.” Younger Americans have shifted to veganism at nearly double the rate of older Americans, according to data compiled by Statista, a market research firm based in Hamburg, Germany. In 2018, half of American millennials were curious about a vegetarian lifestyle.

10 Likes

Well, we had a beef curry with butternut squash and straw mushrooms over rice for dinner. A bit of pickled cucumber salad was just the thing for mom to tame the heat. I did not make the curry very spicey. Instead of a red curry it was a pink curry.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Guinea hen in the pot. Smells like duck!

9 Likes

7 Likes

15 Likes

Does it have also a license to kill?

8 Likes

Only to kill bad moods upon being eaten. Especially when dipped in chocolate.

11 Likes

Excuse me while I check the fridge.

Chocolate Strawberry GIF

11 Likes

SECRET! Not a Berry!
Strawberry - Wikipedia

8 Likes

15 Likes