Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Saturday night is time to make something special or something new: this time the latter. A galette with zucchini, leek and silverbeet and cheese. The pastry was sticky - too much water - but although being a pain to handle it was flaky and well worth it (and I say that as a pastry klutz).

Here’s the recipe. I added garlic when sautéing the vegetables and don’t forgo the fennel seeds.

15 Likes

caught some lovely mangrove snapper couple of days ago. today I poached it up in a covered baking dish, layering jalapenos, fresh ginger and cilantro, then juice of 3 limes and another layer of the ginger, cilantro and peppers. cooks quickly at 325F for about 15 minutes (could have gone a bit less) came out beautiful, somewhat spicy (not overwhelming), and citrus-y and the flavors of cilantro and ginger melding in nicely. served with our home grown salad greens and radishes with simple vinegar and oil. side of rice and our early purple pole beans sauteed in chili oil and a bit of doubijiang (fermented broad bean paste).
pretty damn tasty, if I do say so myself!

13 Likes

That sounds divine!
We are wiped out and debating whether popcorn counts as dinner, but I like your idea better :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

popcorn and a cold, frothy beverage :beer: make a fine dinner.

10 Likes

Agree 100%. But Mr. Linkey rallied and is set on cooking us a pantry/freezer delight. Pasta (pantry) with pesto (we froze a bunch in ice cube trays last summer), corn and shrimp (also freezer).
Feeling quite lucky about my life choices right now. :heart:

14 Likes

Ooo, I found a used German copy too! Thanks for the tip!

6 Likes

Cool, enjoy!
The only modification I’ve made to anything so far is for the pasta salad, just use the whole box. I think the recipe calls for a bit less, but that’s silly.
Oh, and the chocolate mousse recipe is chef’s kiss good.

6 Likes

A veg box company we subscribe to (https://www.riverford.co.uk) who do everything no plastic now, sent us wild ramp leaves with the last box, made a pesto with linguine… it repeats on you a bit, but man what a flavor.

6 Likes

Baked salmon over broiled asparagus, all doused in a lemon butter caper garlic sauce.
The asparagus isn’t in season here yet, but we couldn’t help ourselves when we saw it at the local shop. Totally worth it, would do again. :wink:

15 Likes

yum! salmon and asparagus were made to go together!

5 Likes

I just had Salmon last Thursday with seared asparagus. Next time your lemon butter caper garlic sauce suggestion!
Thank you.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Reminds me of another funny one: nut meat.
:joy:

5 Likes

It’s a common usage in older writing- as full of himself as an egg is full of meat for example. It means that a cooked egg has no bones or other inedible stuff. Not a compliment.

3 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Joined in the salmon and asparagus lovefest, but glazed my salmon with teriyaki and steamed the asparagus.

9 Likes

And nothing of value was lost, lol.

2 Likes

Making some baked pumpkin seeds with Braggs and Shichimi Togarashi a Japanese red pepper powder with mandarin orange peel. Baked at 300* for 13 minutes on sheet pan. At 5 minutes mixed seeds around and rotated pan.

9 Likes

If you put those in a pot with a bit of oil they pop and puff up. We used them as garnish on a pumpkin sweet roll at one place I worked.
Churned up a batch of walnut fudge ripple ice cream for my mom. Tomorrow it’s ricotta lime sourdough cookies and some bread.

7 Likes