Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Tins are better made than they used to be – used to have lead solder to seal them – but it’s still not a good idea to cook the contents in them.

You can put the contents in something else and cook in a pressure cooker/Instant Pot, just don’t do it actually IN the tin.

6 Likes

This may be my favorite label of the month:

6 Likes

Eep!

7 Likes

Hmm, I wonder whether that is true for other vegetable oils as well. I don’t think I have ever used soybean oil in my life. But I have used plenty of sunflower and rapeseed oil.

7 Likes
3 Likes

It’s kind of a camping treat in my world. Stick the tin on the coals of the campfire and rotate, rotate, rotate. Or, you know, just make a little puncture in the tin to let the air escape. A yummy treat.
We did have one explosion when we were cavalier about the rotating and didn’t pierce the can. It looked like someone had splooged all over our campsite. Luckily, it rained shortly after.

11 Likes

Or someone, as a joke, throwing a can of alphabet soup in the campfire. We all got a safe distance away, and then FWOOSH! Pasta letters everywhere.

8 Likes

“This campfire is sponsored by the letter “H” AAAAAH! OMG, GETI IT OFF ME IT BURNS, OH GOD WHY!?!”

12 Likes

Hatch chiles stuffed with caprese and roasted. Had some extra stuffing (mozzarella cheese, diced tomato, fresh basil, salt, olive oil, pepper) so I stuffed a tomato, too.

14 Likes

Second attempt at baby artichokes. The first were pretty much a failure. These came out better, but I’m still not removing enough layers of leaves before cooking so they were a bit fiddly to eat. By the time I get good at these the artichokes will all be grown up. Those I know how to cook already.

6 Likes

My Bad.
As much as I abstain from any fast food and only had a few in my life ( also I consider fast food as only rented food ) Today I had an outrageous desire for Fried Chicken!
Since I do not fry much, I went for my first Popeyes. Expecting a cartoon sailor eating spinach, it was a spicy crunchy wonder!
A good beer made it even more extraordinary.

11 Likes

Yeah, Popeye’s is the real deal. Love it.

5 Likes

Holey Moley… The Hatch Chilies are here! I will be Looking for them this week. Thanks Duke Trout for reminding me.

5 Likes

Chicken, bacon and mushroom pie - a winter staple. Poached chicken thighs, some rendered bacon and quartered Swiss brown mushrooms (pan fried to drive out the water), held together with a tiny amount of starch-thickened stock, seeded mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Butter puff from the freezer. Wish I’d had parsley growing but the leafy herbs are all struggling through winter.

14 Likes

Pide with minced meat and vegetables and with kashkaval cheese and suçuk.

Incredibly easy to make because I had the meat filling, the cheese and the sausage frozen from a previous batch, so I just had to make a dough, fill it and bake.

19 Likes

That looks so good! Thanks

4 Likes

That looks very yummy. Thanks for your post.

4 Likes

Our first Hatch Chilies of the season! Blistering under the broiler, ( to cold and blowing fog of San Francisco summer to grill outside ) The scent filling the house. Dropped into a bowl and covered to steam the skins loose.

9 Likes

Looks like Georgian Khachapuri, for obvious reasons!

7 Likes

I thought that too. Cheers!

5 Likes