Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Those look delicious! I’m not a fan of peppers, but I’ll make an exception for Hatch chiles.

3 Likes

Yeah, like all cuisine it’s all a continuum. I make kachapuri as well from time to time. I love Georgian cuisine. Got myself some Svanetian salt recently but I’m not quite sure what to make with it yet.

7 Likes

Wish I’d know this when I was a single dad. Oh well, what you gain in love and companionship you obviously lose in cute breakfast dishes. Some sort of weird equilibrium thing.

(The kids did have egg-in-a-hole, just not astronaut shaped.)

15 Likes

Why did I learn this 20 years too late??!

12 Likes

Me too!

7 Likes

It’s never too late!

Okay, first try. The Gingerbreadman cookie cutter is too large for my regular toast. We’re gonna need bigger toast… So I made a star.

13 Likes

I noticed they cut on the diagonal, probably for exactly that reason.

7 Likes

CatToast

12 Likes

Space suit malfunction…

He’s dead, Jim.

Close, but not quite there:

… which accounts for the long face, I suppose.

Intermediate results:
The larger toast helps, but got me only so far.
I’m going to need another, slightly smaller cookie cutter, ideally the outline of a humanoid figure spreading arms and legs.
While I’m at it - I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Ampelmännchen cookie cutters somewhere. In the right size those should work too.

Bonus track:

Replaced egg with cheddar.

18 Likes

My elder daughter made it for my younger this morning, and her mother.
ETA
Unfortunately we didn’t have any gluten free bread or she would have made them for herself and me as well.

7 Likes

I’m thinking that a flower cookie cutter would fit on a normal piece of toast well, and then the yolk could sit in the center, which is much more likely to naturally happen and not slide to one side.

8 Likes

‘ I am the egg man
They are the egg men
I am the walrus
Goo goo g’joob, goo goo goo g’joob
Goo goo g’joob, goo goo goo g’joob, goo ‘

4 Likes
6 Likes

Well done! :fried_egg:

5 Likes

This was an enjoyable little surface-level rabbit hole of food and history:

7 Likes

Mine: “Controlled-atmosphere packaging increases shelf life of food.”

5 Likes

I’m trying to learn more about the people who lived here before me, and I’d like to do some of that through cooking.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good cookbooks or sites for Native American recipes? I’m specifically interested in any of the Wabanaki (Dawnland Confederacy) tribes, but probably anything from the northeast US/southeast Canada tribes would be pretty similar.

Somewhat tangential, but this is a cool site if you want to see who lived in your area pre: European contact.

7 Likes

While searching through bookmarks for First Nations recipes for @ClutchLinkey (I was sure I had one!) I found something completely different and possibly of interest to this thread:
Bert Christensen’s Weird & Different Recipes

6 Likes

This guy is the real deal, and I’ve been to one of his seminars so I’ve eaten quite a few of his recipes (prepared by him and his colleagues!) and thus can recommend the end product, not just the concept; however, he is Midwestern, not from your area:

8 Likes

Those are hilarious! You see a recipe for “hairball salad” and know it will be a joke. Assuming the same you click on “penis stew” only to learn…nope! No joke!
Some really fun ideas for a Halloween party.

Thanks! At least it’s a start. And I kind of assume that wherever the same foods were available the diets were probably at least kind of similar.

7 Likes