Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I think you’re spamming the wrong topic there comrade

8 Likes

Sunday Zen. Shelling beans.

13 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Babish did a great episode on making White Castle burgers.

6 Likes

Family-friendly version of The Moonies covering Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion’s “WAP” — as “Waffles and Pancakes”. Link courtesy of Sam Sifton of The New York Times Cooking, in his newsletter this morning.

“The tray is on fire, no pastry, no party/It’s going in raw and it’s coming out baked.”

5 Likes
6 Likes

A properly made slider is a beautiful thing. One of my favorite styles of burger, and too often people use the name and ignore everything else.

But I don’t much see the point in mimicking White Castle. I mean I like White Castle, but it’s not really the sort of thing that demands effort. Or self respect.

3 Likes

Quick and dirty veggie pizza using Lavash.

9 Likes

Weird ramen tonight. I accidentally used a pork stock that was from a Cuban roast pork. It worked, though:

I cooked the ramen noodles in the broth, which soaked most of it up. That’s why it’s not very broth-y.

13 Likes

That sounds good to me. I think a broth that has many flavor sources works well.

5 Likes

It wasn’t hit-you-on-the-head obvious that the broth was Cuban-flavored. It just had plenty of garlic and a hint of citrus, that could just as easily been yuzu.

6 Likes

Burnt Basque Cheesecake - first attempt. The flavour was amazing, but a scant 2tlbs of flour was too much. Next time I’ll try without any flour.

8 Likes

Total matzoh ball failure. Standard procedure of this kind of dumpling and the were boiling away just fine, then I had to go get a cousin from the airport. I left the pot cooking away, but came home to a seemingly empty pot-I had boiled over while I was gone, putting out the flames.and the matzoh balls had sunk to the bottom. Another 3 hours cooking on the stove,then 20 min. in the pressure cooker and they were still hard and dry in the middle. Had to make another batch, which came out fine. The first ones went into the trash. I think I just read the recipe on the container and figured our space destiny.

8 Likes

“ If first you don’t succeed…”
I totally burned the garlic in olive oil and butter tonight.
Like you I started over and learned something about what temperature to use.

As Tony Bourdain said:
“Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime…Please, treat your garlic with respect…Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don’t deserve to eat garlic."

7 Likes

Thank you. It is important to report failures as it is successes. For science.

11 Likes

I will admit, sometimes if I see the whole cloves peeled available in the deli section (fresh, not in oil) I’ll splurge for my big batches of hot chili oil. Otherwise, I’m having to peel cloves from around 10 bulbs. Last time I got whole bulbs and I think I spent at least an hour or two peeling all the cloves.

In other news: had a delicious meal of baked perch filets this weekend. Rinsed, dried, brushed with melted butter then dipped in a mix of bread crumbs, paprika, a touch of cayenne, salt and some grated Parmesan. Came out divine, with a side of grilled pattypan squash.

6 Likes

My riff on Zwetschekuchen, fresh out of the oven.

It’s not quite the real deal: my yeast dough base is too thick and puffy, and the prune plums I can find here at the big grocer are too soft to cut into the proper smaller wedges, but it’s still heaven on a plate. Dessert tonight (and beyond) with a dollop of whipped cream.

My family is in Northern Germany, where this cake doesn’t seem to be a thing, so I discovered Zwetschekuchen in Rheinland-Pfalz during my misspent youth in the mid 80s, which is why I’m using this particular spelling of the cake. The Oma of my host family tried in vain to teach flaky teenage me how to make it. I know she used a yeast dough, not a short crust. I recall the plums she used being much more tart than the prune plums I can get here too. They came from a neighbor’s orchard, I think. Wish I would have paid more attention… Anyway, I’d love recommendations for a tart plum variety, or any other tidbits on how their Omas made this.

14 Likes

Looks delicious!

I usually use more or less this recipe

(Oma-approved, but then again for the last five generations practically every family has had an edition of the Dr. Oetker cookbook at some point.)

But yeah, it’s the plums… large-ish and a bit on the sour side rather than sweet.

12 Likes

Yum! And as my German mom would say, “a feast for the eyes as well as the belly!”
(She actually says, “die Augen Essen mit!” But same idea.)

11 Likes