Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Good golly, that sounds great!

5 Likes

IKR! We just had Thai curry puffs with dinner tonight and noted how many cultures have their own form of pocketed food. Samosas plus burrito can’t be bad right? Also we are suckers for gas station foodie retrofits.

6 Likes

I assume you know why…

Since 1992, Family Circle magazine has hosted what is basically a presidential bake-off – but in print. Every election cycle, the two potential First Ladies submit their best cookie recipe and readers vote on their favorite one. […]

[…] The contest started in 1992, in response to an off-the-cuff comment that Hillary Clinton made to the press in defense of her career ambitions, “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession, which I entered before my husband was in public life.” In response, Family Circle held the first cookie bake-off and Hillary played along by entering this cookie recipe in ’92, and again in ’96, and again in 2016.

6 Likes

Nope, no clue. I just took it as a nice contribution to the book.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reminder!
I think I’m going to call the Nordicware version the “starter set” and if he likes and uses it, I’ll upgrade to a vintage cast iron version for a later gift.

7 Likes

I’m sure it was that, too—apparently it’s been a popular and well-liked recipe. Have you ever tried it? To my eyes it doesn’t look much different from most chocolate-chip-oatmeal cookie recipes, but of course it’s all about getting the proportions juuuust right…

Speaking for myself, I stopped using solid vegetable shortening years ago (to avoid hydrogenated fats) so I’m not likely to test her recipe exactly as written. Sadly, some of my own traditional family cookie recipes just don‘t come out the same with butter.

5 Likes

(The actual recipe is at the end of a looong scroll down.)

10 Likes

I’ve been a bit under the weather and Mr. Gremlin is doing “Sober Ketober”, so chicken no-noodle soup was on the menu last night. All I had in the freezer were some bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs so that’s what I used. Rummaging through the freezer yielded all sorts of fun veggie leftovers that I dumped in towards the end of the simmer. I ended up with that wonderful layer of fat on top of the broth that was chefs kiss just what I needed.

We also made some “keto almond biscuits” that if you closed your eyes (and didn’t think too hard about it) had a texture that was reminiscent of Red Lobster biscuits. I’d say it was a successful meal!

9 Likes

My mother used to bake the Clinton cookies a lot. Usually to send to school for things as a subtle sort of troll on the generally conservative area I grew up in. I remember them being pretty good.

On shortening, with trans fats being banned in the US and elsewhere it’s all been reformulated. There’s still hydrogenated oils in there, but the different way less problematic ones we didn’t used to use all that much.

Otherwise the easy sub is lard, provided you eat meat/pork. Shortening is effectively artificial lard to begin with, and commercial rendered and filtered lard is pretty damn neutral in taste. It’s 1:1 sub for shortening.

4 Likes

Tuna Poke with Laver seaweed
and rice. Snack.

9 Likes

Hungry now, hope it is good!

5 Likes

Get in my belly!

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you call this, but this is the time of the year when I clear out the garden, and all the odd, misshapen veggies go in the pot. Here we have small turnips, parsnips, carrots and kohlrabi. Boil the lot, drain it and blend with some butter and a dash of salt. Tasty!

13 Likes

It should be noted of course that Hildegard’s version didn’t have any sugar in them and were more supposed to serve as a delivery system for beneficial herbs than a baked good. Pills rather than cookies if you will.

But then again I drink health tonics like aqua vitae and Coca-Cola for fun rather than my health, so who am I to criticize that repurposing?

7 Likes

Throw some kale or cabbage in the water near the end of cooking, then drain it and chop it up. Then when you mash the other veggies with the butter, add the chopped green stuff in as well. Colcannon!

6 Likes

One of my favorite snacks! I use this:

Hawaiian Poke Mix - Three Bags https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LAFZXG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FSZKC86JJR9Q7BAB410K

3 Likes

Which has strayed away from its original recipe as well.
Arguably altering the ‘for fun’ aspect somewhat.

6 Likes

https://bookshop.org/books/new-native-kitchen-celebrating-modern-recipes-of-the-american-indian/9781419753558

Thought this might be of interest.

6 Likes

Very interesting Indy. Thank you.

2 Likes

After not drinking for over a month, I am a little Hazy about what beer to buy.
Seen at Andronico’s Community Market SF.

7 Likes