Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Yes every yer I must bone up on my Turkey cutting techniques.

5 Likes

And my yearly love letter to my friend Mary Risley of Tante Marie’s Cooking School.
Just put the Fucking Turkey in the oven!

8 Likes

That’s pretty!

We’re going a little off book and doing brisket this year instead of turkey. Still doing some of the classics: stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, so if the brisket fails we’ll still have plenty. But no pies on the agenda. Last year we overdid everything and got sick of everything by the time we’d eaten it all up.
I’ve never made a “classic” brisket before, so hoping it works. Going to do the first part today.

7 Likes

Mr. Beans Turkey tutorial:

5 Likes

since the mum hates turkey and I quite dislike it as well, we never do a turkey (last year we made homemade tamales, tortillas, guacamole and carne asada). this year it will be shellfish stupor! all local, fresh-caught, starting with Key West pink shrimp (these are huge!) oysters rockefeller, stone crab claws and spiny lobster over yellow rice and peas.
the traditional part comes after - drink beer and watch futbol, (not football) with our friends, DJ and Manny down at the marina.
btw: I like your brisket idea and now I know what xmiss dinner will be!

11 Likes

Do you have room for 2 more?
Your Thanksgiving sounds much more fun than mine

8 Likes

got enough lobster and shrimp for about SIX more!

9 Likes

(checks flights)

9 Likes

Well, it’s not like anything @Jesse13927 gets, but it’s yummy home-assembled ramen.

9 Likes

Sounds great!
A family friend always makes lobster Mac & cheese for T-day. It’s good, but I always feel like it’s a bit of a waste of our sweet maine lobster.
They do the classic 7-fish thing at Christmas, too. Italian heritage there.

11 Likes

With all that good fish, have you ever made a brodetto, or any of the other fish soups from that part of europe, like bouillabaisse, sopa de pescada, etc?

6 Likes

brodetto sounds fantastic. kind of like a cioppino, which I have made. seafood chowders are a big deal around here, both red, tomato based or white, cream based conch, crab or fish. I love making these to slurp con gusto with sourdough bread alongside.

9 Likes

Yes a hundred times with the bread… need to hit up the fishmonger soon.

6 Likes

We are having duck, since there are only two of us and we both prefer it. Standard sides, and I have some small pies ready to bake left from last year, so it’s not too much trouble.

8 Likes

7 Likes

Sharpening my favorite Garasuki Japanese Poultry Boning Knife.
It will be its first time on Turkey.

9 Likes

We’ve been making duck for Christmas recently. It’s a nice special feeling meal, but not as big as a turkey.
How do you make yours?

8 Likes

Best. Fridge. Ever

Actually I’m keen to know about that selection of rods and reels now!

7 Likes

A basic roast mostly. I’ll spatchcock it and roast it a bit to render much of the fat, then finish it over the stuffing. I’ve been working on tea smoking, but need more practice.
Mashed sweet potatoes, mashed regular potatoes, cranberry orange relish, green beans, gravy.

8 Likes

It’s exclusively for dad beers and large cuts of meat

The rods are my brother’s stored there temporarily, and the ones he uses less often. So I wouldn’t know. He’s offered me one of them, believe it’s a St. Croix surf caster with an off brand reel on it.

My dad n me’s rods are on racks elsewhere in the same garage, which is dad’s. Mostly Penn reels on Ugly Sticks from back in the day, neither of us get to fish very often these days.

6 Likes