Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Looks like a real Turkish delight!

6 Likes

It is definitely comfort food, no doubt. And yes, it’s a very simple recipe, and easy to put together.

ETA:

7 Likes

I don’t find it sad.

Japanese convenience products are usually pretty damn good.

Like with curry. I’ve done it from scratch, and no amount of cooking or making roux or curry paste will prevent it from being grainy. It just takes too much curry powder to make it taste right. So I just use the roux bricks and doctor the hell out of it.

7 Likes

Wow! Thank you for this. Cheers

5 Likes

Yeah, companies like Ajinomoto make a wide range of convenient cooking products that are pretty good. I’m not trying to shill for them, but their Cook-Do line makes it pretty easy to make quite good Japanese and (Japanese-style) Chinese dishes.

6 Likes

Their Mabo-Tofu has vastly improved from the thin bland mess it was in years past.

6 Likes

s-l300

8 Likes

At least you know it’s fresh!

8 Likes

I see now. @Jesse13927 meant “like Hamburger Helper for oyakodon” in terms of convenience. Not in terms of “brings all the gustatory satisfaction of that same product.”

7 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t sure how else to describe it because it’s not a prepackaged or instant meal (you still have to bring and prepare your own eggs, chicken and onions, etc.).

5 Likes

:notes:… We’re having possum tonight, possum tonight…

3 Likes

Fried Green Tomatoes. The movie.

Fried Green Tomatoes. The recipe.

5 Likes

Interesting piece by Robert Moss on the dish:

7 Likes

From beer to paper: The Japanese way of recycling brewery waste

A Japanese startup is using organic waste produced during beer production to manufacture environmentally-friendly paper products.

11 Likes

I look forward to when this technology reaches the rest of the brewing world so that I can print memos on Munich lager A4 and leave juicy, hazy, Imperial IPA sticky notes.

11 Likes

You’ll be able to leave stoutly worded memos!

13 Likes

That is so cool!
I’ll drink to that.:beers::page_with_curl:

5 Likes

I can hand a porter envelope to a porter for the post!

13 Likes

You can literally send a sour note, that’s how it gose :joy:

13 Likes

Fresh Mushrooms tonight. Not shown, baby browns in the stew pot.

8 Likes