Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

Moon cakes!

9 Likes

Play corona virus roulette, appetizer edition-
Shishito and padrone peppers are back in season.
Sear them very quicky in a hot pan with bit of olive oil, put them in a bowl with a pinch of sea salt, and goat cheese(if you have it).
Most of the peppers are mild and delish. Every once in a while you get a hot one that kills. I just got nailed tonight.

16 Likes

Cinnamon rolls with orange glaze and beef, mushroom and farro soup. Used a recipe for the dough that had intrigued me for a few months-maple buttermilk dough. The end result is good, but on the way I discovered:
Recipe claims to be done, start to finish, in three hours. There are three hours of proofing time alone, none at all for mixing and shaping, much less baking.
Whoever converted the recipe from cups to grams did the math wrong-I needed almost twice as much extra flour at the end to make a coherent dough as the recipe called for. Ended up using whole wheat flour because it absorbs more liquid. I didn’t notice that the echoes recommended adding more sugar to the dough for cinnamon rolls (as opposed to loaves or dinner rolls), so I left that out. Still fine. Cut the dough in half to shape it, and got 18 good sized rolls instead of the 12 in the recipe.
Ever run across recipe issues like these? I want to copy-edit every time I see them.

11 Likes

I made Jalapeno poppers today. Most were mild, but two or three were volcanic! And no way to tell the difference.

15 Likes

Been making Salad Nicoise as a weekly thing with the missus.

Butter lettuce, roasted mini potatoes, steamed green beans, olives, shredded anchovies topped with boiled egg and canned tuna with a Dijon vinaigrette.

Example, not an actual photo of the one I made

13 Likes

oi! I love “pepper roulette”.
nom nom nom nom POW!
that endorphin rush is so good! and you can’t stop, no.
after that you really are “chasing the dragon!”
@NukeML, yup… like that!

12 Likes

Mexican Roulette?

5 Likes

Pork loin grilling today on the gas Weber grill. We are still in a Spare the Air warning in SF Bay Area because of the wildfires. But, gas grilling is okay if no wood chips are used for flavor.
Happy Labor Day to you all. I hope you are all taking the day off and employed when you are not.
Cheers!

14 Likes

I’m smashing a tiny chicken today.

Recently a mostly wholesale brand of high quality free range chicken has been popping up at retail in the area. The local independent grocery has good prices on “young chicken”, basically smaller fryers in the size between poussin/game hen and the larger chickens you usually find in American markets.

That size mostly seems to go right to food service so I grabbed a couple. Chickens this size are good on the grill.

10 Likes

Tried our hand at some homemade chapati today

15 Likes

That looks good!
Made my signature Guinness bread today. Here’s the half loaf left after we stuffed ourselves on the first bit hot out of the oven with butter and Marmite!

13 Likes

A nice batch of dirty rice, served with fresh corn and broccoli. Not much energy for cooking today, so one pot and one dish was just right.

11 Likes

So much variety. How many people are you cooking for?

5 Likes

Just me and my mom. I’m a bored CIA graduate, so I like to play with my food.

12 Likes

Wait, you mean:

Not…

I was confused for a second there! Carry on!

13 Likes

Sounds like Weird Al needs to do an alternate version…

7 Likes

Our shishitos are the stars of the garden this year! We’ve been cooking just like you say, then sprinkle with a little lemon juice and a dust of nutritional yeast. Delicious every time.

8 Likes

Nothing as bad as what you saw, but often the times are off or amounts are off, or ingredients are in the narrative that aren’t in the list. I never used to write in books, but the last couple years I’ve been adding notes into my cookbooks (or on printed off recipes) whenever I make a recipe and it has been very helpful. Each time I make it a little better, and it’s cool to see how the recipe morphs over time as you tweak it here and there.

11 Likes

Cock a leekie soup!

14 Likes

Nothing like mushroom soup on a stormy, rainy autumn day.

13 Likes