Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I know anecdotal evidence isn’t really reliable but having been in the region once or twice these lemons are the ones I remember and the ones I was told there were used for limoncello.

Edit: I should probably add that by “the region” I mean the gulf of Naples and the Amalfi coast, which, as I understand it, is where limoncello comes from. I just now see on Wikipedia that Sicily apparently also makes the stuff and I have no first hand experience with their citrus fruits

5 Likes

No idea whether limoncello was invented there, but they do make a good one.
Also, the people are technically mutants.

9 Likes

Yeah the town of Amalfi claims to have invented it. As does Sorrento, several towns in Sicily, and multiple places further north where the liqueur has a slightly different name. Because Italy each of these areas would have their own variety of lemon, and insult grandmothers over it being the only right lemon.

Most of them are apparently sfusato lemons, and there is apparently an Amalfi sfusato. The peninsula containing Amalfi, Sorrento and Naples does seem to generally be regarded as where it’s originally from. ETA: Both the lemon and limoncello.

6 Likes
8 Likes

this is why i generally use a process known as “sweating” to cook garlic and shallots in my own dishes.

6 Likes

I use the Paulie system.

4 Likes

I’ll file this under “d’uh”

3 Likes

Truth.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Don Caprese

7 Likes
6 Likes

hooray for happy hour!
made tofu satays with spicy peanut coconut sauce and got to wondering what cocktail? :thinking:
enter my very own concoction I’m calling a Muddled Mekong Martini

Muddled Mekong Martini:
muddle togeter
fresh ginger root (about 2-3cm)
lemongrass (chunks)
Thai basil sprig
fresh lime juice (1 lime)
fresh Thai chile (red chile or similar - not dried)
strain into shaker, add 1oz agave nectar, ice, and dry gin. Shake. Serve in chilled martini glasses, garnish with Thai basil.

13 Likes

Oh look, someone invented the waffle iron.

15 Likes

Dude, pour one for me! I wonder could you use Makrut limes for even more southeast Asian goodness? I don’t think I’ve seen them fresh but I don’t live beside the biggest Asian supermarket in town any more.

Also, @FGD135 about browning garlic, thing is, sure, if you are making say Italian cuisine: slow as possible on as low a heat as possible. In fact Italians are pretty strict about removing the core of the garlic clove. If you need to cook hot, infuse the garlic slowly into the oil gently warning and take the garlic out before whackng up the heat. But as a foundation for say Thai cuisine: slice the garlic, best the wok, get the oil in and have it wavy air hot, throw in the garlic first, stir, then throw in the next addition just as it is about to go brown (each addition lowers the temperature which is why you have everything ready and fry up each dish individually) and finish cooking. The sour tang in the air immediately makes you hungry for southeast Asian food. It’s used differently in different parts of the world.

ETA must put my favourite simple pasta sauce recipe here which uses the above trick with garlic and oil.

But not until I put pics of my mushroom forage and cooking today.

11 Likes

use 'em if you got 'em (I use Key limes for reasons).
other subs include Makrut lime leaves in the muddle, galangal instead of ginger and a lovely shaved curl of fresh coconut in the garnish. rim the glass with confectioner’s sugar with a cardamom-forward curry powder, just a touch

edit to change offensive descriptor. never intended and thankfully brought to my attention. TIL

8 Likes

Not a lot of cooking + blogging this past year for me. I made a sandwich,

or two

Some egg salad

and kimchi

But no one really thought it was edible, at least my little lamb. She was very vocal in her disdain for my cooking.

Hey @Melizmatic and @Mindysan33! Long time, and appears to have been a lot of

BLASPHEMING AND HAIRY-SEE .

Any trash I need to take out? :smiley: Love all ya!

Oblig: Jeremy Pickett (@mrjaphroaig) • Instagram photos and videos

22 Likes

Those sandwiches! :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

i thought they were good! Lamby was not impressed. stupid lamby.

12 Likes

Hey, yous!

Just followed you on IG.

10 Likes

How are you!!?? I’ve been all over the west coast the fast few years. An absolute whirlwind

11 Likes