Harrassment?

Just catching up on these comments. As one of the putative posters accused of harassing you I am surprised by your comments above. Nowhere did I misrepresent your posts, attack you directly, or make this about you personally. I responded to your comments that “how am I supposed to keep records, or find records in my home, or go get tested, etc”. You posted these comments in response to a number very rational, supportive, and informative posts. I, and many others apparently, thought your responses incredible especially because you never provided any reasons why the proffered solutions did not work for you. Much later and mostly in this thread you raise the issue that you have some disabilities which prevent the solutions from working for you. As I also read here, you desire to raise these types of access issues in relevant threads. I can applaud that desire to bring recognition. However, I would suggest that you make this clear from the outset in your first post that you have XYZ issues that prevent you from using these solutions, rather than simply responding they do not work. Only then can strangers on the internet be engaged with your problem(s), be aware of the obstacles that you face, and possibly work towards solving these types of problems in our local communities. A negative response without explanation does not achieve that goal and only makes many of us scratch our heads at such exclamations against informed, rational responses. As I said in my last comment to you in the previous thread, I sincerely wish you luck.

3 Likes

Does that clarify things?

From my point of view, the most informative thing was that some people could keep track of these things. I had taken for granted that noone could keep track of these things.

So that leaves two big sets of questions, one of which might deserve its own thread:

First: How much of organization is a skill, which anyone can learn but some of us never get taught? How much of organization is an innate ability, involving better memory and better executive function? And how much of organization is a matter of learning and using the right skills for us?

Second: How to work out whether we’re vaccinated. I think that comes down to records, if we have them, contacting other people with the records, if we can contact them and they have them, knowledge of standard childhood vaccines, knowledge of nasty adult infections which confer immunity, and immunological testing if we can get that. All of that came up in the thread, and it is useful advice, but it isn’t useful for everyone.

I guess?? It is all after the fact. I never would have responded the first three times about poking about personal records or how frequent one has to do manage information like this in civil life, if you stated at the outset that you experience some disability(ies) that prevent you from doing these things. Good luck with your advocacy on this issue.

1 Like

the second is somewhat related to the first and, in my opinion, you leave out a fourth possibility from the list which is by accident. accidental organization is illustrated by my own case-- i am a teacher who is the son of teachers. my mom kept all of our vaccination records as a matter of course and when i grew into independent adulthood she handed off all of those records to me. over time i have added my tetanus boosters, flu shots, and other vaccinations i’ve had as an adult to those records. if i hadn’t been born to parents who considered keeping those records almost a sacred duty it would have been harder for me to piece them together, although as a school teacher i know how to go about contacting the school district i graduated from and getting my childhood records from them. still, it is something of an accident that i have those records as organized as i do.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t these accessibility barriers apply to nearly every topic that comes up?

I suggest maybe opening your posts with a description (or link to) the accessibility problems you face so you don’t have to spend so much time explaining it to folks in so many topics.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the mockups, it looks like a solid revenue stream too.

19 Likes

In that thread, when I saw the initial posts, I thought “should I speak for MarjaE and explain to this apparent newcomer why it’s so hard…no of course not, not my place”. So I guess this is a good thread to ask @MarjaE what can others who immediately know what you’re talking about (from having read other posts of yours over the years) say or do to support you without actually speaking for you?

I have the sense that at least some of the issue in that thread is that it went too long before @woodfish found out that you have special circumstances. As a result, it was hard to tell if it was trolling or honestly not understanding.

1 Like

To be brief, not trolling just incredulous.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, I was pretty incredulous about the original cartoon, and I can be wilfully incredulous at times.

Can get pretty aggravating pretty quickly, especially if it crosses over into suggestions that you aren’t trying when you have tried, and/or suggestions that you should just try something you’ve already tried. And yes, I can get pretty frustrating if I need advice, but can’t get good advice, or keep getting bad advice I’ve already tried. So, it can be hard to know whether to offer advice.

Could get pretty aggravating under certain circumstances, though I’ve often done that.

Should I avoid that?

Should we have some kind of advice/skillshare thread on organization? And on trying to figure out which papers to keep and which ones to recycle or use for scratch?

2 Likes

Hear, hear. You speak so well on the topics that interest you, Marja, and are such a passionate advocate, that I, for one, am hesitant to white-knight, and not just because I’m not as well-informed as you are when it comes to these issues.

That could be quite profitable for any number of people, and it could be couched in simple one-size-fits-all terms with a few caveats to ensure accessibility issues are addressed as well. After all, in our digital age, the vast majority of adults still possess (or would, if they hadn’t lost them for one reason or other over the years) a great many paper records, some of much more importance than others. And crowdsourcing strategies for organizing such records, pruning out the deadwood (like paystubs more than seven years old, for example, or one’s elementary school quarterly progress reports, etc.), and filling holes in the most vital sections of one’s database, with advice on how to access records that were lost or misplaced weeks or months or decades ago… all that stuff is useful and indeed part of an important skillset for independent adults, and a thread dedicated to that topic would be useful to you, to me, and to all sorts of imperfectly-organized folks here on the BBS.

4 Likes

Well you could get your blood tested for antibodies… I think this was mentioned in the antivax thread.

Speaking of which, the public health concern was over the rise of “non-medical exemptions”. A physical reaction to a vaccine could form the basis for a medical exemption".

4 Likes

Searched: “xenophobia and the bystander effect”…

Found: http://bibliothek.wzb.eu/pdf/2012/iv12-701.pdf

Yes, it’s not his fault he responded. He never would have been rude but he was poked. Poor victim.

Poor poor victim.

A negative response without explanation does not achieve that goal and
only makes many of us scratch our heads at such exclamations against
informed, rational responses.

yes, he is rational, Any who disagree must not be. Ipso Facto head-scratching motherfuckers.

I would never respond to such low brow trolling as that.

Now, what you did there… :wink:

(I accept payment in Qatloo, only)

2 Likes

A possibly productive solution.

Can you create a thread where these issues are discussed some, and then reply to the derailers -in that thread- inviting them away from the original conversation. Either a long term thread, or something created in the moment. The “reply as linked topic” button can help, I think.

6 Likes

The compliments pass when the quality meet.

Yes Pharoah

What the guck?

2 Likes

2 Likes

I remain intrigued by the foreshadowing.

4 Likes