Hazmat team responds to Uranium 238 delivery at halfway house

He thought he had ordered THX 1138 from Amazon Video.

Then he tried unsuccessfully to cancel it when it didn’t come Free with Prime. This happens to me ALL THE TIME

9 Likes

Or maybe he wanted to watch a Matthew McConaughey movie?

6 Likes

The powered stuff can be pyrophoric. You don’t want it to ignite it, either.

6 Likes

“The man is said to have wanted to take a selfie photograph with the uranium in hand, and post it on Facebook.”

Oh, look at me with my fancy u-rani-um !
No more buttered scones for me, mater, I’m off to play the grand piano!

What’s the matter with you? Good, honest pitchblende not good enough for you, is it?

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s hard to get much less radioactive than U-238 and still be radioactive. Which is a good thing, since it’s quite abundant in the earth’s crust.

Even hunk of pure U-235, the stuff they make bombs out of, would be totally safe to hold in your hand from a radioactivity standpoint—its half-life is still hundreds of millions of years. Well, I mean, unless the hunk were of a critical mass/geometry, in which case you would be holding a nuclear bomb in your hand. But you would be extremely unlikely to get cancer in the several picoseconds before it went off.

5 Likes

If you tried to post all the dumb (but benign) things people do, you’d have to stop because the world’s storage capacity would be quickly exhausted.

How is this even a story?

3 Likes

Halflife house?

[ducks vegetate fusillade]

5 Likes

Sans two protons and a city in Denmark, but that’s some good…

3 Likes

You would get a terminal radiation poisoning, if history is any guide. (Fortunately, you’d be reduced to white-hot plasma before you’d suffer any ill effects from that.)

4 Likes

Hands are fairly radiation resistant, compared to the rest of the body, and alpha emitters are safe to handle if they aren’t inside your body. I can’t think of a good reason for a random person outside a lab to own a powdered alpha emitter, but I can think of some really bad ones.

3 Likes

Theodore Gray has some better ones, but I don’t know if they can be licensed.

There is a pencil with powdered Uranium in, for some insane reason. It looks too recent to be from the time when people thought it was a good idea to drink radium water.

2 Likes

So, person buys totally legal thing, there’s a brief overreaction from the police, and nothing comes of it.

Slow news day? :stuck_out_tongue:

U-238 is the common form of uranium. (It’s an Alpha source, so it’s pretty harmless unless swallowed) You can buy it on amazon. I don’t really think the fact this guy used meth in the past is terribly relevant either.

3 Likes

Why add chili p. to your meth when you can add powdered uranium

1 Like

The real health problem with DU ammo isn’t radioactivity. If you crewed a tank turret for 3 years, you’d get less radiation than you get from one dental x-ray. The problem is the dust. When DU hits it combusts - the difference between burning and exploding is purely academic. The outer surface ablates as it plows through the target. So the air around the target is filled with a cloud of microscopic particles that can be blown around and breathed in. DU is not seriously radioactive, but it is a heavy metal.

6 Likes

Here’s a better one:
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=873

1 Like

'Ta, dolls. Off to go order some uranium. I need to meet some new people and associates.

Well I do now!

Forget blue meth. It’s all about the glowing meth.

(Yes, I know uranium doesn’t actually glow.)

3 Likes

It’s also inaccurate, since 1"==25.4mm. If you’re going to overlay a scale on a blurry, probably irrelevant photo, the least you can do is get the unit conversion right. It’s not like Wikipedia charges for the number of significant digits in the illustration.

1 Like

Unless that is the property that you want if for

1 Like