Helium shortage deflating Party City's business

Maybe there’s a use for all that methane leaking out of the melting permafrost?

1 Like

I think the helium matter is just an excuse. Party City is being undercut by the dollar stores on merchandise like disposable tablewear and party decor. Their only real specialty is costuming for Halloween, and even then they have all sorts of competition. As retailers go they are in a precarious position.

2 Likes

That sure would teach kids a lesson when they pop the balloons. Or teach the parent since kids like that sort of thing.

3 Likes

It’s already a frightening experience for them… Imagine if they were also smelly and explosive!

2 Likes

I can’t even count the number of balloons I’ve had to pack out of the Boundary Waters Canoe area, I assume they floated there rather than someone packing them in for a party.

1 Like

I remember is school kids would always smash or pour an entire bottle of liquid fart or whatever it was called into the stair wells even though they had to walk through there all day with everyone else.

4 Likes

Because it makes someone money, and that’s all that matters in a capitalist economy. I honestly don’t think it’s more complicated than that.

11 Likes

NO CAKE FOR YOU!!

But yeah, seems a bit of a waste just to make a kid smile and then, inevitably, cry.

2 Likes

I guess I mean “why don’t we hear more often from scientists that they are demanding government regulation or conservation of a valuable element that is rapidly dwindling” rather than hear about it from Party City complaining that it’s hard on their crappy business selling crappy party supplies.

11 Likes

It’s probably the same reason, though, that scientists are considered a suspect class by the right wing party, and thus are kept at arms length by our center-right party in order to win over those right wing voters. At least party city is part of the “real world” instead of over there in some marxist ivory tower… I mean, I totally agree with you, that this should be an issue that scientists are discussing in public, as it’s part of our larger problems in society, but you also know how our society is right now, and how little respect that people who do research and scholarship (in whatever field) get.

8 Likes

Or have lots of thermonuclear weapons tests!

_104355796_gettyimages-1002107858

That’s a terrible idea. Don’t do that

9 Likes

Too many of our current problems fall into this category.

6 Likes

Maybe you can harvest the helium from smoke detectors.

1 Like

I agree. Like making your voice sound silly.

2 Likes

Sure that’s the reason we’re closing these stores. Helium Shortage. Sounds like a bunch of hot air to me.

4 Likes

All too true…

That sounds like straight from the Onion, but could totally be real life. Just look at how they reacted to the green new deal… “THEY WANT TO TAKE OUR PLANES AND OUR JUICY STEAKS!!!”

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

9 Likes

Ugh, I can just imagine the right wing radio talking about how scientists want to take away children’s birthday parties.

8 Likes

Yes. The most frightening things in my childhood were smelly things, fireworks and… HELIUM BALLOONS! It was horrible. H o r r i b l e !

2 Likes

Helium is extremely valuable and becoming rarer. Steps should be taken immediately to protect this commodity, and ensure that its only use is reserved for talking funny.

2 Likes

If they had a fusion reactor, they could make helium from cheap hydrogen :wink:

2 Likes