Here are the 200 most common passwords

Maybe you missed this: 8 billion people.

Yes, I know (most) babies certainly don’t need their own passwords.

1 Like

But it fails with the on-screen keyboard of an iPhone.

1 Like

I only count the people I like :wink:

3 Likes

My secret is using the names of other people’s pets.

3 Likes

I use my cat’s secret name, only known to other cats.

3 Likes

Sadly, the other cats call her “1234”

5 Likes

Because the people who read xkcd back then were the kind of people who would know not to use a password from a popular webcomic. They might have used the algorithm, but not the example word.

3 Likes

Having grown up near Chicago and moving away as an adult I would get a weird nostalgic shock when that jingle played on some out of region ad.

2 Likes

Hackers breach a site. That site uses either no password hashing, incorrect password hashing, or once good but now outdated password hashing. Hackers compile the passwords they can recover into a big database. They upload that database to one or more of the many sites that allow sale of black market information. The database gets sold and as it gets passed around it eventual leaks out. Security researchers keep an eye out for these lists as the become public.

One security researcher Troy Hunt maintains a site that catalogs breaches, and when they contain plain text passwords they are added to a database. If you trust him you can see if any of your passwords have been breached, and many password managers use his database to check passwords for you.

and @NukeML

We have those Empire ads all over the teevees in the Detroit metro area but as far as memorable numbers from local tv, we had Belvedere construction for decades. He passed away 5 years ago.

Remember, you’ll look at it, you’ll love it, and you’ll take your time paying for it. We do good work!

TY8-7100

His phone number would take 3 hours to crack, if you use Empire’s number (800-588-2300) with the dashes it would take three years to crack. 5882300empire would take 23 days but it’s been exposed 23 times so people are thinking the same thing.

1 Like

Had one like that at a company I worked for (it had terminals that timed out every 10 minutes).
One day a cow-orker stopped by and I apparently just slapped my keyboard, entering the password.
He was dumbfounded and to this day, he has no idea how I did it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.