Here’s what Man Of Steel would look like with saturated colors

Let’s take it to the next level.

6 Likes

It’s my impression that every subsequent Coen bros. film-- is color graded. I miss the gorgeous hues of The Man who wasn’t there Miller’s Crossing…

Um…
Hasn’t color grading always been a thing? Well, since color cinema…

I think you’ll have better results if you mentally add the implied “digital, unsubtle” modifiers to @jerwin’s opinion.

1 Like

Mayhaps.
But I’d argue that directors (and DP’s) have always manipulated color on film- through film stock choice, lighting, filters, and whatever other tricks they could think up. Maybe it’s less subtle now, and yes digital has made it easier for any hack with iMovie to butcher the color profiles of their work, but it’s always been done.

1 Like

Indeed. Have you seen this? As a fellow movie tech nerd, I think you’d like it.

4 Likes

Now if only there was a way to photoshop the plot.

They tried to do a Batman color scheme while trying to turn superman into wolverine.

maybe most are not missing the point after all, they’re just making a parallel point

Fair enough. “Restored color” would be more technically accurate with some qualifying language indicating it’s a rough attempt to illustrate a point. Anyone can spot that the result looks like it’s on a TV for sale at Best Buy with all settings cranked to 11.

But then again, in context, I think the difference is clear between the video guy’s rhetoric and actual forensic claims of “restoration”. Same as when he said “if it had been filmed in color”—it was clear what he meant.

Thanks for clarifying. While I’m a big Coen fan, I haven’t seen a lot of their recent work.

I’m surprised he didn’t mention Aviator. Now that’s a creative use of grading. Shame that those artistic sensibilities couldn’t grade Hugo away from Cyan and Orange.

1 Like

And why we tolerated such dangerously flammable monitors,

2 Likes

I guess most people here know that the costume in the original Superman TV series (i.e. the George Reeves one) was BROWN so it’d show up better on Black & White.

Fixed that for you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.