Here's one great way to prank a phone scammer!

you beat Lenny’s time:

This one is legendary 58 minutes:

5 Likes

Lol, very similar!

If you really want to scare a phone scammer, tell them you’re Jim Browning and you know their name and address.

1 Like

I love the telemarketers that can’t hang up unless you start swearing. A lot of the Collection Agencies have a rule where the telemarketers can not initiate a disconnect. Just grab your favorite book and start reading. I have a friend that does this all the time.
My preference is to ask questions that are as stupid as possible. Make them cover each part numerous times. Really annoys them. I’m retired and bored, so I have plenty of time to waste.

4 Likes

Assuming you were on an old timey land line and not a cell.

Would love to have a slamming sound option on a cell to hang up in anger.

Enjoy this timeless classic:

“Can’t say I haven’t thought about it myself! Say I’m in Vegas or something… Had a few drinks with some cute little Mexican midget…”

5 Likes

“Hello, this is meekrosoft technical support, what is your name?”

“I am Vigo, Scourge of Carpathia, Sorrow of Moldavia”

5 Likes

You’re right, of course, I could only hear the yelling and the hangup, so slamming the phone down was my visualization of the experience. I agree, I would love to have that sound effect feature!

https://lennytroll.com/

I also did this—made one young woman cry and another young man furious. The pace of SPAM calls did not slow down in the least.

1 Like

In the late 90s, I noticed a small surcharge on my landline for “Hold Services”. We didn’t have call waiting or the ability to put someone on hold, but when I called the phone company about it, they said it was a separate fee to a separate company. The phone company would not take it off, I had to close my contract with “Hold Services”. And no, the phone company couldn’t help me track them down. It was only $3.99 a month, but… it was $3.99 a month! Our immediate recourse, the phone company said, was to close our account and start over with a new phone number. We did so.

About two months later, the surcharge was back. I wasn’t willing to go through the pain of getting a new phone number, so we ate it. I found out later that “Hold Services” was a billing service that would call you up, start some kind of conversation, and then say, “I’m sorry I have another call coming in, can I put you on Hold?” Most people would say yes (and my wife’s grandmother lived with us at the time, so…), thereby giving verbal consent to be billed $3.99 per month.

So yeah. Don’t say anything that could possibly be used as consent, and hang up.

4 Likes

My wife HATES it when I answer these phone calls but my daughter gets a kick out of it and we sometimes do them in the car on the way to soccer practice.

I will string them along and my record is around 1 hour and 15 minutes. They are really pissed at the end of the long ones after having to repeat themselves constantly or me repeating myself extremely slowly. My new favorites are the ones where they want me to go to a website to allow them remote access to my computer. At a certain point, they’ll ask me what I see on the screen to which I reply “I see a picture of a horse raping you and it looks like you’re enjoying it”. It all goes downhill from there.

ps - I do not use that line or other vulgarities when the kid i listening as I like to set a good example and simply waste the scammers’ time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.