Here's what Ronald Regan thought about the right to vote

Yeah, “fast enough” would have been after Watergate. The question is how far can they ride the bomb before it explodes under them?

7 Likes

Sure. But people should not have to do a bunch of extra work just to get the help they need. It was done out a utter necessity, because the Reagan administration was content to let gay men die.

12 Likes

Exactly. That’s how it arose in a conversation about BIPOC communities being left to die during this pandemic. It just led me to realize the parallels in the two circumstances and how galvanizing it can be for ignored communities.

10 Likes

Sure. Human beings do amazing things under this kind of stress. But it also highlights the disparities.

10 Likes

Nah. Not gonna put on the rose-tinted glasses and eulogize a monster.

12 Likes

Exactly this. It was just an era where he had enough shame and fear not to say that part out loud.

4 Likes

he still asshole sacha baron cohen GIF

11 Likes

This will just get swept aside like everything else the hypocrite GOP once held as sacrosanct but now finds “inconvenient.”

3 Likes

Reagan was the start of the post-civil rights attempt at voter suppression of the Black vote by the GOP, as well as leaning hard into the culture wars. His pretty words meant fuck all. The man was an actor, after all.

16 Likes

Even during the fight over the bill which lead to this touching statement, Reagan was against full and equal voting rights. He opposed preclearance under the Civil Rights act and opposed the provision allowing for a judge to consider the totality of circumstances, preferring a standard of proof of intent to discriminate based on a protected class. VOTING RIGHTS ACT SIGNED BY REAGAN - The New York Times and a more detailed contemporaneous breakdown, pages 22-31.https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2465&context=fss_papers He then vetoed the Civil Rights Act of 87, marking the first veto of a civil rights act since 1866. The dude was basically Trump with the ability to give a coherent speech.

6 Likes

Amen!

2 Likes

I completely relate to the feeling that drives that kind of comparison. I recall, though, his seeming overuse of the code term “maintaining traditions” while stumping in Boston’s White neighborhoods in 1980. During one of those speeches (televised), one fellow in the crowd could be heard proudly yelling, “We know what you mean, Ronnie!” Early indications of the real Regan.

6 Likes

From wiki on Regan re Voting (and Race and Civil Rights):

The Reagan administration was often criticized for inadequately enforcing, if not actively undermining, civil rights. In 1982, he signed a bill extending the Voting Rights Act [of 1965] for 25 years after a grass-roots lobbying and legislative campaign forced him to abandon his plan to ease that law’s restrictions. He also signed legislation establishing a federal Martin Luther King holiday, though he did so with reservations. In March 1988, he vetoed the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987, but his veto was overridden by Congress.

6 Likes

Taking a cue from Grover Norquist, I think the Republican party is getting about small enough to drag into the bathroom and drown in a bathtub.

9 Likes

So uh…how long until Tucker Carlson starts calling Reagan a RINO?

4 Likes

He just has to get up the nerve to talk about how Ronnie’s value system was compromised by (((alien values))) during his time in (((Hollywood))). He’ll get there.

4 Likes

well, white conservative votes, but yeah.

Reagan was the beginning of the end of the word “liberal”— after which it became an unusable epithet. He would have been fine with the current Republican push for voter suppression. His Stephen Millers would have been feeding him the bulletpoints and he’d spit them out just as fast. (It would have been interesting how he would have dealt with a Trump, however.)

Reagan smartly put Clarence Thomas, that pioneer of civil rights, in charge of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. I see him, looking over the EEOC claims, spitefully nixing each one: “No, No, No, No, …”

4 Likes

I’ll bring the tub.

4 Likes

But what liquid to use? Toxic waste? Fukushima radioactive boar piss? That slurry from those lakes of pigshit? Santorum? Tough choices.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.