Hollow rock turns into a router full of survival info when you build a fire beside it

In one of the Space Quest games, you had to enter the alien laboratory on Mars, find a small rock formation emitting puffs of steam, put a rock you gathered in a previous scene on top of that, blocking the steam, and that’s how you open the door. That’s probably as intuitive as a doorknob to a Martian or Sierra Games developer, but I had to buy the gameplay manual in order to pass that relatively early level.

Glad to hear that the German forest uses the same style of intuitive logic. I hope you already have a broken Coke bottle and tattered underwear in your inventory, or that fire is not gonna happen.

2 Likes

I’m sure the future sentient life that inhabits the planet after we died off (possibly robot, but I wouldn’t rule out intelligent cats) with find it a treasure trove of info.

The Wikipedia articles are not very detailled, but it seems as if Neuenkirchen (Low German: Nyenkerken and similar) was a popular name for start-up cities in the 11th/12th century. As they were often first mentioned with this name it’s probably likely that a church was built in an otherwise boring and uninteresting hamlet - so not new as contrast to an old church building, but an upgraded village with a new parish.

2 Likes

New from LucasArts: Lord Of The Flies - The Adventure Game!

1 Like

You found the plastic water bottle and the mud to make the brown water to swap with the coke bottle then.

1 Like

Guide for the Wearing erit of Orders, Decorations and Medals.pdf

It’s good to know that, come the apocalypse, the survivors will at least be aware that wearing miniatures during the day is something that one does not do.

3 Likes

Moon Logic: Works in Mars, too!

But can we play Minecraft on it? Because future generations will be most likely to die of boredom.

Too many steps. If you’re the kind of person to go into the woods with the ability to make fire then the chances are you’re a preparedness-minded person.

What you want is something that helps those unprepared folks who may have just gotten lost.

I propose a solar tree. So as to leave the vista as undisturbed as possible you craft a realistic artificial tree that is marked with say a ring of boulders or some other benign marker. The tree will contain batteries and an emergency beacon as well as the data storage and USB charger to charge your device. Up above the canopy would be the solar panel array.

3 Likes

It’s called VeraCrypt.

2 Likes

Poor choice for actual emergencies. However it’s something I kinda want to do for the farm, that is have a router hidden in a rock possibly with a way to power it outside of the grid in addition to a traditional hookup.

2 Likes

Agreed, the best tinder is dry tinder. :wink:

3 Likes

It seems I must apologize for the obvious snark in my previous comment. Reading through the list more closely I see that there is a guide in there that might be useful for someone lost in the woods who comes across this rock:

End of life- a guide.pdf

1 Like

The best part is that the information is a JPEG photo of survival tips written on the side of a rock.

3 Likes

Dry is the second-best kind of tinder!

The best kind is smoldering and about to flame.

4 Likes

This was the approach of the JPL scientist in Lucifers Hammer. Knowing he was dying from lack of insulin he spent his last few days placing text books in plastic bags, spraying with bug killer and burying them for future generations.

2 Likes

Oh good now I’ve got flying sundaes from space to worry about again.

OK, now what do I do again? I click on the rock, right?

4 Likes

The piratebox.cc inspired router which is NOT connected to the Internet…

So technically not a router then…

(Sorry. I got that same twitch I get whenever someone refers to their desktop computer case as the “hard drive”. I’ll go back to sitting here at my computer in silent mild disapproval.)

4 Likes

Can it connect multiple computers together in a local wireless network? If so, it’s still a router.

3 Likes