Hotel's Android-based lightswitches are predictably, horribly insecure

I agree.

My room light is operated with a command from a server console.

4 Likes

Or, if you want to impress a girl…

2 Likes

This is similar to how Jurassic Park wound up with door locks only controllable from a room somewhere running an SGI Crimson.

That seemed like a cautionary element. Did these people not see the movie? What if Velociraptors checked into the hotel?

8 Likes

Velociraptors are the size of turkeys. You can hold a door closed against a pack of them.

You really gotta watch out for Utahraptors and Deinonychus though.

1 Like

Or Dakotaraptor. (Which are also likely candidates for travel to hotel rooms.)

2 Likes

You don’t think there might be some … negative customer feedback when pranksters start strobbing everyone’s lights at 2am?

2 Likes

Well maybe but the set intersection between people capable of pulling such a hack off, and the people who can be bothered to do it must be fairly small so the risk of being embarrassed in that way is also quite small.

Except that their pool of candidate pranksters is high because they run a high turnover facility, and the set of people capable of pulling it off is actually fairly large since there is no security whatsoever.

2 Likes

Goddammit. Can’t a chap have a bit of consistency?

my room light is controlled with wooden 3 by 7 inch punch cards communicating pneumatically with rotary stepping relays emulated by arduino nano controlled stepper motors with 3d printed rotors interacting with limit switches , which are connected to yet more nanos connected to a pi cluster using a one time pad on ssh over a vpn on a physically linked ( with pressurized aurmoured cable ) network to the nano/pi/3dprinted robot hand which presses the leds/nano illuminated light switch
or so i might allege , when under the influence of too much coffee , and not enough time studying blender and pure data manuals !!

1 Like

Pics or it didn’t happen! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I was serious.

(Note the three-position rocker switch. That’s the manual override for case anything would fail. Always have manual overrides; a basic rule that most of current IoT crap neglects.)

4 Likes

ahhhh , yes , very kewlio !! alas , mine was only in my head , only a cafeine dream , but there really is a nano in my dragon !! and , it has ultrasonic sensing and flashing lights and servos !! no 3d printed parts though , and the video is a tad long , sorry !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ULE1ilXE98

1 Like

That’s lovely! :smiley:
(And the “tad long” part is easy to remedy with the increased playback speed youtube offers.)

What about a variant on the dragon, using a little igniter and a servo-actuated spray can? There are designs on the Net based on some air stinkifiers (“fresheners”, as the marketers call them) which are motion detectors with a servo and a spray can. Just mod the electronics and add the igniter.

2 Likes

This article has had me on a research hole since yesterday. It occurred to me that if I set this sort of thing up at home I could have all my lights match flux on my computers and help with my insomnia.

Unfortunately, it seems the market is too fragmented, fickle, and expensive. Not to mention (while I wasn’t specifically researching security) the security on any of it seems to be an afterthought (except whatever Philips put in place to play unfriendly with anything that didn’t pay them a licensing fee :laughing: ).

Oh well. I may still get a single, cheap bluetooth-controlled LED bulb so I don’t have to fumble in the dark to turn on the light in my room.

Wake me when IFTTT isn’t predicated on money being no object.

As for the hotel, if they want to impress me they can include internet free with the more expensive hotels the companies I work with insist on using. Even the most expensive hotels I’ve been to didn’t impress that much more with their ideal “first impression” lighting configuration.

2 Likes

It’s the Internet of Shitty Things.

3 Likes

Great minds… And us too!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.