How a $200 guitar from Amazon compares to a Gibson Les Paul

I think the harpist’s boyfriend had the right idea, where it’s shaped like a controller so someone else can play with it while you play the guitar. Neat idea!

1 Like

That’s awesome by any measure, but I’m especially loving the warm/cool contrast with the pick guard.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

3 Likes

Thanks - it is getting a little beat up there now but Wonder Woman blocks it all with her bracelets :wink:

5 Likes

I need to re-wire the bass too. It hums, sure, but touching the strings doesn’t quiet it as much as touching the bridge guard which shouldn’t be touching cables

:grimacing:

Read that as knob to change the humbucker setting to pedantic at first…

1 Like

Far be it from me to dictate what people do with their knobs.

4 Likes

FNARR!

2 Likes

Very nice. I have tried this in the past and not gotten as good a result. Next time I try it will be on some flat-topped guitar like a telecaster, and then pour resin on it instead of using coats of lacquer (and basically not bother with the sides/back at all.)

1 Like

I did the whole body after entirely dismantling the guitar, most of the paper pieces were small and I think that helped, you can only get damp paper to bend one way at a time. The surface was roughened with sandpaper first too.

It took three cans of spray lacquer to seal it with the body hanging on a frame, suspended by string through the neck holes, waiting between each coat and any minor repairs on the scratchplate I cover with clear nail varnish.

It took about a week to complete and I love it.

4 Likes

THIS is the one problem I have with Squiers, even brand new they need adjustment. I was fixing the action on a Squier neck recently. It’s a balancing act that took me years to understand (pre-youtube), and sometimes it’s still mystifying – wood reacts to the weather, so I can get it right and then 6 months later it’s buzzing again.

1 Like

Yup. That bit sucks. Esoteric knowledge for sure.

1 Like

I’m often telling people that “It’s not black magic. There are valid, technical reasons we need to sacrifice a a chicken at this step.”

4 Likes

Sam Ash offers music education.

Always follow the correct procedure - plus you got a dinner option there too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.