How a cryptographer uses a key engraver

Back story:
That would be Professor Matt Blaze, McDevitt Chair of Computer Science and Law at Georgetown University, whose prior publications on hardware lock security have infuriated professional locksmiths and their trade journal (The National Locksmith) subscribers.

During his 14 year stay at U.Penn, the campus locksmith repeatedly lobbied to have him fired for teaching about locks and cryptographic concepts.

Matt’s twitter feed is entertaining, too.

10 Likes

My apologies for being the slayer of jokes. But, the longest message you could encode on a key the size of the universe, using a precision of 1 Planck length, is only 61 digits long.

3 Likes

Mine is “Eve”.

1 Like

and here I was taking mine all the way home to get them copied… I knew that my NYC locksmith wouldn’t care about the message but I was more wary of a local one alerting “the authoraties.” HA!

1 Like

Labeling solutions in a language unreadable by others in the lab is common. Immortalized in this classic music video: https://youtu.be/Fl4L4M8m4d0

1 Like

Mine was Virus Depot for awhile.

1 Like

somehow acquired a key engraver

Because putting “somehow” in the middle of a sentence somehow makes it more mysterious and frightening.

2 Likes

I wish I had an engraver…
I must make do with keychains and labels like some underprivileged so-and-so…

4 Likes

I could tell which video that would be before I clicked the link…

The Andromeda Strain!

What a childhood favorite! It still gives me the chills!

3 Likes

An underrated classic, I think.

TheAndromedaStrainIllustrationByDustyAbell565

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.