How do you read?

Thank you!

Read that entire Twitter storm. She is not happy with her copyeditor. Not. At. All.

1 Like

It is pretty epic.

2 Likes

It makes me want to be a copyeditor, because I would do a way better job than this one. I understand that my job would be to stay out of the author’s way.

Then again, there are some types of author with whom I really would not want to work.

3 Likes

I read things in the order they were written (which isn’t necessarily chronological in terms of narrative, as others have described). I don’t want to miss subtle references and call-backs to the earlier stories - which, to the point here, are often not fully fleshed-out, just mere references.

I’m not a huge fan of the dropping-into-a-chase-scene trope - clichĂ© - but it depends. It works for James Bond, because those stories are all about clichĂ© (and the opening scene is unconnected with the main plot). In an average sci-fi story, it’s a signal that it’s, well, just an average sci-fi story.

It wouldn’t bother me to not know who Alice is in the context here, but I would expect a fuller introduction relatively soon, or else it’s odd, at best, to bring her up like this.

In fact, this sentence feels to me explicitly like the beginning of an introduction of Alice more than anything else, which may be the real reason readers were dismayed at not getting the rest of the introduction (discounting those who have trouble with anything that isn’t completely linear).

It doesn’t necessarily have to be in the next few sentences - character-description-as-paragraph-length-aside is something I don’t particularly like - but for example the narrator might have interludes in her overall description of the scene over the next several pages with her thoughts about Alice, as they organically pertain to the scene.

Of course that would change the overall meaning and purpose of the scene, and would even change the narrator’s character, indicating that she’s preoccupied with Alice when she’s supposed to be concentrating on the task at hand.

2 Likes

Depends on the program! [quote=“LearnedCoward, post:54, topic:98162”]
I’m anticipating a nationwide brain drain.
[/quote]

I don’t think the rest of the world can absorb the excess, nor are all of us able to just up and leave the country fro greener pastures.

1 Like

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:66, topic:98162”]
I don’t think the rest of the world can absorb the excess[/quote]

I think the rest of the world can, and will, absorb the excess. At a certain level, competition is global, so that’s already happening. However, if demand starts to grossly outstrip supply anytime soon, it will likely be because jobs are eliminated, and that’s even worse.

I had no choice but to leave Indiana after graduation. There were no jobs there. I could have just as easily gone to another country as I could have another state. I didn’t have to leave the country, but I was seriously preparing to. Not everybody is in that position, but a lot of people understand that they will have to move after graduation, and maybe move far.

1 Like

We’ll see.[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:67, topic:98162”]
I had no choice but to leave Indiana after graduation.
[/quote]

Sure. There are plenty of people with the opposite problem, family obligations keeping them put, for example.

3 Likes

I was musing on books with “prerequisites” as I was trying to pick SF books my 14 yo daughter would like, she reads the usual YA dystopias. A lot of modern SF doesn’t have a lot of exposition, you seem required to know the basic tropes. William Gibson or Cory is tough if you’re unfamiliar with what they’re referring to in passing.

Ex: In ‘New Rose Hotel’ Gibson mentions things like “corporate arcology”, and “synthetic beta-endorphin” but never explains. Neither are critical, but add to the enjoyment knowing what he’s referring to. I found “Down And Out
” similar, he used old tropes as the building blocks of his story and I thought if you were unfamiliar it would be a tough slog. I guess it allows you to write at another level without having to explain basics the way they explained computers, microgravity and vacuum in the 1940’s, but it must be hard for some.

A friend who was denied tenure at Rutgers picked up his family and moved to Sydney! Seemed pretty radical.

2 Likes

I’ve got three words for the critique group. :laughing: “Good morning, Diane.” (—Agent Dale Cooper, Twin Peaks)

I don’t need everything up front. I don’t even necessarily need everything to be explained eventually.

Sometimes you do have to temporarily accommodate a critique group but your audience might not have the same issues.

On the other hand, it’s a good idea to get the most out of their feedback while you can. The critique group may try to make an issue if they’re having trouble finding one 
 or they might say something that sounds off base if they can’t figure out what’s really bothering them or how to express the issue they’ve found. A lot of different possibilities.

Critique is a specialized skill. Even more specialized when it’s for editing purposes than for literary criticism in general.

If your group isn’t just throwing their equivalent of Strunk & White at you, it might help to ask them for clarification about what they mean. That might mean helping them figure it out.

5 Likes

Why would they mean anything by their critiques? Who needs meaning when you have a list of more or less arbitrary guidelines used as hard and fast rules?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.