How many shades of gray are there?

Here are the color names most disproportionately popular among men:

Penis
Gay
WTF
Dunno
Baige

Men: we suck.

I am going to somewhat agree with you there, that for all practical purposes there are 256 pure shades of grey. However, there are other grey tones – blue-grey, reddish grey, and so on. How far into the color scale do you go? RGB is not a real help here, I suspect the HSL model is more appropriate, with hue being the limiter.

I personally feel that about 50% of all reproducible colours can be considered grey shades, so your average monitor can produce just over eight million shades of grey.

I’ma link this dude’s Halloween costume. Might be more than 50:

Please share with us how you’ve manged to represent an infinite number of values in 32 bits. This could revolutionize computing.

A fan! Yay!

basically, I have been calibrating colour printing, colour scanners, displays, colour recorders, cine film, and other things for the last 30 years. All I have learned was freely given to me by other kind people in my various businesses, so it is only fair to pass it on when I can.

There is a bit more to the mystery of what Newton meant by the colour ‘blue’. He tried mixing ‘blue’ and ‘yellow’ light because he thought it ought to make white from his colour wheel, but he actually thought it looked yellow. This pretty much nails what his blue colour ought to be as we are pretty consistent in guessing where yellow comes in the spectrum, even though though Sir Isaac did not measure wavelengths, because he thought light was a particle. Now he may well have known his Aristotle (or, more likely his pupil, Theophrastus) who mixed yellow and blue light, or perhaps superposed yellow and blue glass filters (it is hard to tell) and said yellow plus blue light gives greenish-white.

My personal guess is Newton was using a modern value of ‘blue’ for this experiment. We tend to use ‘light blue’ to mean sky blues and blue-greens, but ‘dark blues’ are proper indigo. Russian and Japanese have separate words for light blue, but English has this rather cranky common use of ‘blue’ that is a cross between the two. But Newton still saw the mixture as not being a pure white, but a sort of green, which I think was because he would be getting different messages from his peripheral vision and his macular vision. However, the greenish thing had to be right because that’s what the great Aristotle saw, right?

Not dissing, the big A, though: he was a hoopy frood who knew where his towel was. Give him some proper optics and I think he would have cracked it.

PS:
What colour do you actually get when you look at a white incandescent lamp through a piece of amber glass, and cobalt blue glass? In that case, blue plus yellow equals red. Freaky, hah?

2 Likes

He wasn’t totally wrong there…

My buddy, Bruce, says that all shades/tones/values are grey…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.