How much should you pay your babysitter?

Once they start, like, doing dishes and, like, wiping up the freaking dining room table I will pay them accordingly. This, like so many things, has evidently fallen by the wayside with this generation.

1 Like

Shortly after day care rates surpassed college tuition, http://time.com/money/4512858/daycare-college-cost-comparison/

1 Like

Child care is expensive; duh.

Especially if we’re talking licensed, ‘professional grade’ care; daycare for my kid used to cost damn near as much as renting an entire apartment unit (with none of the other monthly expenses & living costs included.)

For an infrequent night out, a semi-trustworthy teenager’s going rate was $10-15 an hour.

13 Likes
1 Like

When it stopped being teen girls doing the baby sitting?

[ETA] Let me add to this that many of the jobs we associate with teens earning pocket money (baby sitting, part time stockperson, fast food, some retail, bag boy) are now being done by full grown adults, who need to make a living wage. On top of that, your average teen doesn’t actually have time for a part time job, because their school work load (in most public schools) often require at least 5 or 6 hours of work at home. Add to that the necessity of padding out the college application with extra curriculars, and kids have no time for also having a job. Teens are once again being pushed out of a job market, out of necessity to make way for adult laborers.

17 Likes

4 Likes

Call back to my band’s name!

2 Likes

My wife works for CPS. Last time we went out, one of her investigators watched our two children for a decent bottle of beer.

To be fair that is pretty much all we needed.

4 Likes

Reminds me of a funny line from True Blood, back before I quit watching it;

There’s a scenario where a man has sex with a fairy* who then immediately gets pregnant and gives birth to quadruplets. The fairy then disappears back into her own dimension, right after telling the guy it’s his job to make sure that “at least two of the offspring live to full adulthood.”

(*unbeknownst to him at the time)

1 Like

Wow, fairies are parasitic assholes.

1 Like

Hey, I didn’t write the crap, I just recollected it.

(Pretty much every species is at least ‘part asshole’ in Charlaine Harris’ limited universe.)

Additionally, if memory serves correctly, the babies grew at a rapidly accelerated pace; they were teenage girls within a week.

O_o

And unless I’m mistaken, only one of them was still alive before I finally quit watching that bullshit for good.

2 Likes

Good point. Our babysitters are all 20 something adults, and we are right in range with the DC area for pay.

Come to think of it, I imagine this survey excluded au pairs and nannys, who sometimes work not normal business hours (i.e. when you’d normally have a babysitter), and would be common in higher income areas.

And that other image… I think we’re about to find out how many Republican Senate candidates read Boing Boing.

3 Likes

This sounds like the (very) dark twin of G&S’s Iolanthe.

http://www.doylycarte.org.uk/operas/iolanthe

I mention this totally off topic simply because it has a certain resonance given yesterday’s announcement. It has nothing to do with babysitting.

1 Like

Okay, this is about the going rate I’d expect - $50 for 4-5 hours worth of sitting is reasonable. $22 per hour is, to me, unreasonable. You can paint any sort of dire scenario you like, the reality is that I want to make sure the kid isn’t sticking forks into electric sockets, gets fed, and will fall asleep safely.

1 Like

I’ve never paid that much, but then again my kid doesnt need a babysitter anymore, (thank heaven!) and inflation is a thing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.