How the language of special education denigrates kids with disabilities

I think a big part of the problem is that we often treat children as the precious possessions of their parents as opposed to think of them as humans who have their own needs.

5 Likes

I feel like you’ve misread this. They didn’t think severe disabilities meant a person was less than human, the system required them to dehumanize their child in order for the system to agree the disabilities are severe. If I have to dehumanize my child to get them the “severe” assessment (and the support that comes with it) that doesn’t mean I dehumanize people with severe disabilities, it means that the system does.

I think we could all think about the labour that does into supporting us and our lifestyles. But if we are going to implement a program of enforced gratitude for the labour of others I think we’d be better targeting members of legislative bodies instead of parents of children with disabilities. Parents of kids with severe disabilities often already have a lot on their plates.

4 Likes

What if I don’t love, and I just want Matt Gaetz to grab the 110kV rails like RoboCob ‘did’ to set himself jest fine (give or take wandering the city 10 hours getting parts stolen and stuff afterwards?) This is staging I’ve neglected terribly! [Lots of organizing work to make ‘beer and a chaser’ mean a porter and a stinging nettle infusion…no major desirable ‘reverso’ on the global south I do and don’t like not finding (and finding) Impact.]

Yes that’s the problem right there; I’ve put high impact Rails, three.js, Meteor, REST and fridadotre works right in front of them, but they’re using binary Minecraft mods and no VM. [Shakes mirrorsy cloth pillow violently: ‘What must I do to fix you?!’] (I mean, South Austin would have the programs, right? Other right? They call for kombucha and leave it? Eh.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.