How to spot mail written by a robot

The dead give away for the real sleazy robot writers is when you find a few “hairs” that shed from their cheap toupee in the envelope.

5 Likes

I’m tired of the robot callers. They ask “How are you doing today?”, and my wife waits, and finally says “Horrible!”. The robot then goes off and says “Great!”. Whatever it is, the phone has already been shut off.

That’s how they getcha with late payment interest charges!

I was about to remark that the video demo made me wonder how cost-effective this rather slow electromechanical deception could be, and you come up with an answer.

This is kinda cool. I can see a sensible use too, because when my bank sends me a new card it always uses a fake handwriting font on the envelope, which looks nothing like handwriting and makes it instantly obvious to me or anyone else looking at it that there’s a card (or PIN) enclosed. The only mail I get with the address printed in a fake handwriting font is a bank card or PIN. So, so dumb. But something like this robot would actually make it look like a normal letter.

If the spammers put a return envelope in their mail to me, I usually tear or cut the marketing materials in such a way as to fit everything they sent, initial (container) envelope included, into that return envelope and then pop it back in the mail. That way their trash doesn’t clog up my particular landfill and they get to see the results of at least one person who doesn’t want their crap.

2 Likes

I have personally known people who do this. I can’t say they ever reported any success in reducing the quantity of junk that arrived in their mailboxes. We have curbside recycling, so if it wouldn’t otherwise have to be shredded or pisses me off (that stuff gets burned, as I already mentioned), that’s where it goes. I’m sure the crap mail just ends up returning to me in the form of other crap mail or as packaging, though. :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, I never really figured that the company would stop sending things to me–it just pissed me off enough to think that they were polluting my home twice: once with the unwanted spam, and second with that spam being thrown in my trash destined for some local landfill. At best, I figured that companies doing mailers like that would have any number of underpaid people to open the return mail and do what needed to be done with it, and that when I wrote “STOP SENDING ME THIS SHIT” (among other things) that person might actually take the time to remove my name from the mailing list. My technique also meant that the company was forced to pay for someone else’s time to open and redirect my returned spam, so it wound up in their trash at their cost, as opposed to winding up in my trash and requiring my time to place it there. Maybe it sounds a little petty, but it was my small way of refusing to play along with the system.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.